"Well you don't live on Social Security"

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by elitelawnteam1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was helping a friend this last weekend (owns a lawn maintenance company) and he was backed up because of some equipment issues, so I gave him a hand. Anyway, we got to this elderly woman's house, which the grass was long and I start cutting, shortly after I start, she comes rushing out saying it doesn't need it and to come out next week. I tried explaining to her that when your grass is 4-5 in. tall, it needs to be cut WEEKLY. And she repeated like about 3 times "Well you don't live on Social Security" I told her she was right, but I didn't say anything afterward.

We finish mowing, and get back into the truck, he told me he wants to drop her cuz she's a PITA, but whenever he starts talking, all she tells him is "Well you don't live on Social Security" What would you do to state your case, but at the same time remain professional and polite?

Forgot to mention she has a brand new buick regal in the driveway.

2. i wouldn't try to explain anything, you might have better luck talking to a tree in that situation.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Catering to that mantra will ensure that you too are on a fixed income.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

what is with the people on this forum who feel they need a reason or a "case" to drop a client.

just drop them. you don't owe them any explanation at all.

most clients that people want to drop should already know the reason.

when i fire a client i just send them a letter stating i can no longer service there property. plain and simple. i don't owe them anything beyond that and neither do you.

5. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, drop her or plan to deal with more BS.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

save the stamp. Use Twitter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its funny how generations change. I had a Lawncare business 20 years ago. Most of the widows or old people were very respectful and appricative of what we do.

Twenty years later I find old people with money are very reaapectful and appricative of what we do.

However more and more of the middle class old people tend to be PITAS.

I think what you are seeing is the dominant woman of the late 60s and 70s, and its likley only to get woorse.

All my current customers are great to work for.

Funny sicenero..... Here in Bama last April we had some really bad storms come through. One of my customers (OLDE WIDOW) had som huge Oak trees blown over her driveway. So I spent the day cutting the trees so she could get her car out if she needed to,VOLINTEER WORK. So then a nother OLd wiman customer calls me the same day and says she wants her grass cut. I tell her it be a couple of days, she fires me over the phone. Later on in the year the woman that I cleared her driveway fired me. In 3 years of my current business thats the only 2 customers that fired me.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would venture to guess that most of us old folks don't use twitter. There are still a lot of old folks that don't have a computer.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly!! I'm sorry if they can't afford me but I'm in this to make a living, not take advantage or anyone, just a fair price. If they can't afford me then I just tell them I'm sorry and let em go. I wished I could tell Georgia power that, after opening up another 400 plus electric bill. Do you think they care if I am on social security. Nope, they shut your power off with no apology.

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ha that reminded me of one a couple years ago. we had a bad wind storm come through, trees down everywhere, some roads closed for days. i got a call from a customer wanting to know why i hadn't mowed his lawn yet, i told him that i can't get into your devolpment yet as there are are trees and lines down and the road is closed. he told me i had until 6pm that day to have his lawn mowed or dont bother to come back. well needless to say i dont have that account any more. and for the record his devolepment didnt get opened for 2-3 more days.