Wells Cargo Enclosed Trailer Help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawns of KY, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Lawns of KY

Lawns of KY LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a 2006 Wells Cargo 8'x18' Landscape trailer. The purchase price is $8000. This includes the hand tool package (i.e. blower racks, trimmer rack, cooler rack, gas rack, etc.). Is this a fair price? Are there other enclosed trailers for landscaping that are a little cheaper, but equal in quality? Thanks for your help.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Look in my post above, Wells Cargo its only a 6x12 but its over 12 yrs old, I'm getting a new trailer in a year I hope, but wont be going with a Wells Cargo only because of the color I want they don't offer. But for 12 hard yrs its the best trailer made.

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm also looking at a Wells Cargo 8.5x20, for $9500, before tax. I'm not planning to get any of the racks you mentioned, I'm planning to order them from trimmer trap, I've heard good things about Trimmer Trap.

I am planning to get some other options added to the trailer, like fuel doors ect., I'm also planning on getting the Landscape package.

As far as other trailers that are cheaper, but equal quality, I have not found any around here.

Let me know if you are getting any options other than the LS package, if you are, your getting a much better deal than I am.

Thanks

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont understand how you would even consider spending so much money on a trailer. I just got a 2006 Atlas 20x7 enclosed trailer (loaded with options) for around $5k. Even If the quality isnt there (which i believe it is), you can cycle through them every few years and still come out ahead.

5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

You make a good point, but I have checked with Atlas and a 8.5x20 with the options I want will be more than 5k, also I would have to drive to Indiana to pick it up, there are no Atlas dealers in Tx.

Another thing to consider is, if you spend 5k, and your trailer lasts lets say 10 years, and I spend 10k and my trailer lasts 20 years, seem like I would come out ahead.

I'm not trying to start an argument, in fact I will not argue with anyone about this.

I'm also not saying Atlas is not a good trailer, I have looked at the way they are built and they seem to be very well built. My concern is, it looks like Pace and Haulmark are built well. I've heard of several guys that were not happy with Pace, one guy only had his a year and it was leaking, along with other problems. I have also heard of others that were happy with their Pace. As far as Haulmark I've heard some say they like their's, but I went to the Haulmark dealer in my town, and seen one trailer that had been leaking in 2 or 3 spots, and the inside walls were coming apart, then another trailer, same lot, the side door was very hard to open, these were brand new trailers.

As far as Wells Cargo, I have searched on here, and have not seen one person that wasn't happy with their's.

Sorry so long.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Don't expect any enclosed trailer to last 20 years, at least not without working on it.

You also might want to look at Featherlite trailers as they are very well made, have a LS package and are good enough for NASCAR so they must be pretty good.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

alright, since we are sharing points of view, how about this...

I purchased mine new for $5k plus tax. I keep it for 4 years, have no maintenance to speak of and at the end of those for years sell it for $3000. That makes my cost of ownership around $500 per year... I dont think anyone can do better than that.

8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Good point, I talked to Atlas this morning, I still may go with them.

I'll let you know later about the quote they gave me, at first glace I'm very impressed.

9. DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

Hello, form Grand Lake Oklahoma! I have a 20' by 8' U.S.Cargo trailer. It is a v-nose and has loads of that shiny aluminum diamond plate all over it! There are 5 overhead center 12 volt lights powered by the truck. Checker board linoleum flooring all the way to the end of the dovetail. A spring coil assist back gate(kinda like a garage door has). There are 5, 4' flourescent double bulb fixtures in the interior that run off of the built in 30 amp R.V. breaker.There are 6 outlets strategicaly placed about the interior.There is a double door access on the passenger side of the trailer with two counter sunk outside quartz halogen lights on either side for outside lighting. I installed a complete rack system inside from Jungle Jim's that really works well. This is a 2004 trailer and I have 6,000.00 in it! As for justifying the money, My rig has a real professional look and protects my real investment which is the equipment. Also this thing is a mobile billboard! 24/7 free advertising! The quality is there! I have not seen it's equal! fit and finnish it's flawless! I recomend this brand to anyone. My 01' GMC flatbed dually with the 6-speed vortec 502 has no problem towing it around. I appreciate your time.

10. DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

Hello, form Grand Lake Oklahoma! I have a 20' by 8' U.S.Cargo trailer. It is a v-nose and has loads of that shiny aluminum diamond plate all over it! There are 5 overhead center 12 volt lights powered by the truck. Checker board linoleum flooring all the way to the end of the dovetail. A spring coil assist back gate(kinda like a garage door has). There are 5, 4' flourescent double bulb fixtures encased in diamond plate in the interior that run off of the built in 30 amp R.V. breaker.There are 6 outlets strategicaly placed about the interior.There is a double door access on the passenger side of the trailer with two counter sunk outside quartz halogen lights on either side for outside lighting. I installed a complete rack system inside from Jungle Jim's that really works well. This is a 2004 trailer and I have 6,000.00 in it! As for justifying the money, My rig has a real professional look and protects my real investment which is the equipment. Also this thing is a mobile billboard! 24/7 free advertising! The quality is there! I have not seen it's equal! fit and finnish it's flawless! I recomend this brand to anyone. My 01' GMC flatbed dually with the 6-speed vortec 502 has no problem towing it around. I appreciate your time.