Wells cargo issue!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WishforScagWildcat, Apr 22, 2013.

1. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I have a 2002 wells cargo 7 x 14 trailer with two dome lights. I heard that some trailers need the break lights on to ground the dome lights to turn them on. Ive tried everything except having the break lights on when i turn on the lights. So my question is could that be the problem or is it the wiring itself, also could it be that the trailer plug and the truck plug electrical connections do not match? It does have electric brakes and there is a wall switch.

2. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

On our enclosed the head light have to be on for it to work
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Find the junction box and wire it however you want. A lot of my past enclosed trailers have been different. My latest one the truck had to be on (key forward.) one before that it just had to be plugged into the truck. Personally I would find the source (basically the forward most point of the wire feeding the dome lights) and run it to a battery. Then run the 12v power (often the middle wire on a 7way plug) to the battery to charge it while driving. This way you'll have lights when parked.
    It could be wires differently but you get the point.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Ok Ill try that!