Went 21" mower shopping today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yard-Dawg, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Yard-Dawg

Yard-Dawg LawnSite Member

I had my heart set on another Ariens with the Kawasaki motor but the dealer was sold out till next year.:cry:

So I went to the local Snapper dealer and all he had was low end stuff and did not seem to want to talk about something that he did not have in stock.:nono:

Went to the Deere dealer and he said all he has is Briggs crap that is no good in long grass because the discharge hole plugs. Most of the mowers he sold this spring are being returned...He said if you want a good mower go get a Honda!:waving:

Then I went to Honda and the two sales guys were on lunch at 11:15 am and the mechinac that was left in charge was mad because they both left him alone and he did not have time to explain to me what they had for mowers.:nono:

Then I went to Toro, I made about two trips around the boats, bikes, quads & clothing and could not find a Toro anything. Then I looked in the phamlet rack and found an old dusty Toro mower broucher. I asked the sales person where all the Toro mowers are and she said they are sold out till next year.:dizzy:

So I spent most of my day shopping for a mower and came home with nothing. Now I am confused and don't know what to buy. I currently have 4 Deeres (older ones) and 2 Ariens.

What is your favotite 21" rear bagging Self Propelled mower?
    :confused:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't own a trim mower, my smallest mower sports a 48" deck.

3. Differential

Differential LawnSite Member

If you're bagging, the Snapper Hi-Vac commercial units are great. They don't seem to be as "cool" as others, but I beat the crap out of mine and it just keeps asking for more. And the bagged cut is really nice.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

we use toros, but have a few snappers we use during leaf season for our smaller lawns, they are hands down the best hi vac mower on the market, that i have used anyway. you can always use a snapper, order a tor online, shipped its like 1200, my dealer will match prices online, he has like 20 mowers in there right now.

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know a lot about mowers. I did some research, I am leaning towards Toro Commercial. Not only the Price is cheaper than the other commercial mowers, it is the lightest of them all. I think it is only at high 80s to low 90s depend on option. Others are in 110lbs range and carrying it up and down the pickup truck can be bad for you back.

Consummer Reports rated the home owner mowers reliability very high, so that is a good thing.

My former first choice was Arien LM21SW swivel wheel mower. It is not a true commercial but it is only $699. Too bad it is not available in Kalif.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Your Ariens dealer is not telling you the truth. I was an Ariens/Gravely dealer, and my former partner in the store still is.
    Ariens will build any of their mowers as soon as they get a few orders for them. They can shut down production of one mower model, and change over to build a few of another model in just an hour or two, due to the way their assembly plant is set up.
    Contact you regional Ariens rep. directly, and he can probebly get one transfered in from another dealer in his territory.
    Your dealer is either misinformed, or does not want your business. He can get you one of those mowers.

7. trippy

trippy LawnSite Member

i upgraded from a home owners personal pace 2 yrs ago to a commercial model...as i beat the daylights out of the home owner model for 6 yrs and it never quit,,zero complaints

8. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I have Snapper 21" Jet Vac that I purchased in the late nineties that has served me well with approximately 850 hrs on the clock and will strike close to 950 hrs this year with a Briggs motor that has seen just valve adjustments over the years. It's a bags great,decent side discharge and leaves a great cut. Parts are inexpensive to replace also,so that's a plus.

9. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I see you have an ariens LM series. I just bought one w/ the kohler engine and straight axle. It seems to leave a lot of stragglers. Do you notice this with yours? I am talkin in a 100 foot path i could probably pick out 10 to 20. It drives me nuts. What am i doin wrong? I am even reducing my speed to under half what it can do and still doin it.

10. Yard-Dawg

Yard-Dawg LawnSite Member

Mine did that when I used the OEM blade but I changed the blade on the LM as wel as on my PRO 21 and that made a diff. I don't thinkg the OEM's have enough lift. I just sold my LM and I want to get another one with the Kawasaki like my PRO has. That Kawasaki FJ80 is a beast! Let me know what you think of your LM when you get some time behind it.