Went and looked at skids today.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Feb 23, 2008.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Looked at a gehl 5640 turbo. It was ok but i wasn't hooked on it. And a case 430. I like the case more. Some of the filters seem to be hard to get to. The cab isn't to wide, but its not too bad. And i looked at a john deere CTL 322 for the heck of it. Nice machine. Out of those i looked at today i would have to say deere is the best. But remember i just looked i didn't drive any. i want to see what bobcat will come out with. I just don't feel right in the gehl or case.

2. cat2

from Mi

Another thing on the case is it felt like there was so much machine behind you, it seems like when you are close to a wall or something you would have a better chance of hitting it.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I get the same feeling too with Deere's and Cases all the time, even though their lengths are the same as Cat and Bobcat's standards.

4. cat2

from Mi

I know i hate that.

wow we agree on something:cool2:

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Only Tak's and some of the first Cats were longer than the industry standards, not much, maybe 6-8" or so.

6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

The old ASV 4800's had to be the worst. They had the entire engine behind where the loader arms where hooked to the machine. Also the big New Hollands have a long back end on them and allot of times they bump things when you turn.

7. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

i would never buy a deere or new holland i just feel the back of the machine is to big feel like im going to hit something all the time i know how you guys feel on that. case you cant see anything out of it i cant see how people buy that machine they must be working in a open field.. for what i do alot of tight work i feel 100% bobcats have the best visability then any other machine

8. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

Yeah mrsops i have operated many skids and Bobcat is one of the best for vis. We checked out a ct 322 about a month ago and i could not get out fast enough. I banged my shin into the frame just trying to get in the thing, and im only 5'8" 160lbs:hammerhead:. The overhead visibility is absolutely pathetic and the giant loader arms are a little overkill ion my oipinion. the front door glass is far to small and close to your face, someone likened the cab to gatting in and out of a bath tub and i have to agree. The heater was amazing and power galore. With a cab overhaul i think it could be a real contender in the ctl market.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Try this excersise. Sit in a CASE and a Bobcat and have someone set cones (both standard and candles) around the machine with comparable machines with the loader arms in the same position. I have done it. You should try it. Then talk about what you really know, verse talking about what you don't.:waving:

10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

im sure you have done it just like i have sat in both machines i dont need to set up potatoes lol or whatever your telling me to set up i would never buy a case but for you they must work :hammerhead: