1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Went and looked at the Takeuchi TL130, TL140's... Quick question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Stroker, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Went and looked at these machines today. Gotta admit, I really liked what I saw. Unfortunatly they didn't have one ready for me to try out on the lot and I didn't have time anyway. But I did get a chance to sit in one.

For a skid steer type machine. It was actualy fairly comftorable. Only one problem. Im a big guy, 6'4 330+ but I didn't even feel that cramped. However my legs were not the most comftorable in the world. I was sitting up kinda high to allow more leg room and when I brought the safety bar down, it was resting on my legs. Now the salesman said the machine will not move unless the bar is down. It was maybe 1/4-1/2 inch from being all the way down. Is that enough, or will I need to sit lower somehow?

I know I need to lose some more weight. But that wont shrink my legs size a whole hell of alot.. LOL
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I am not sure about this, but I believe it is possible to adjust the contacts on the seat bar so that they extend a bit longer. I believe you can do this on a Case machine (Case XT/400 users, can you just unscrew the two brass screws toward the top of the seat bar so that they make contact?), but not sure about Takeuchi.

If this doesn't work, you'd have to weld another piece of metal on the contact points so that when the bar comes down, you'd get that 1/2 or 1/4 back.

There may be other ideas that are better... :) but if you do nothing, and leave it as is with the gap, the machine won't run.
  3. alldredge_2008

alldredge_2008 LawnSite Member

Just curious which machine did you sit in? I know that the TL 150 has a lot of room in it, i'm not sure if the other machines have he same sizecab. I think that a Takeuchi would be a very good solid machine for what type of work you might be getting in. There are quite few Tak machines running round were I live. Well glad to see you are out looking and you like what you see.

Good Luck :waving:
  4. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

I sat in a TL130 and TL140 and didn't notice any difference in the cab size. The 150 is bit more machine than I need. But it may not have made a difference with the safety bar anyway. What im wondering is if the safety bar has to really be all the way down, no give at all. I would think there would be some slack in it to account for any bouncing that the machine might encounter. I guess I could adjust the seat lower so the bar isn't resting on my legs. But then my legs wouldnt be as comftorable...