1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Went and looked at trucks this week, tell me what you think?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Aug 26, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

2000 Ford F-350 Lariat super cab long bed 4x4 7.3 auto:
    113,953 miles
    AM/FM Compact Disc Playr
    4x4 shift on the floor
    goose neck mounting plate
    rhino liner
    $20,969

Is this a good price? Is the 7.3 a good motor? Does is accelerate as quick as the 6.0? I haul a 18ft trailer with 2 Dixie choppers and a walk-behind, and want to atleast get above 12mpg. Can it be done? I am getting 5 to 6 mile a gallon hauling my rig around. I just don't like the tan two tone on it lol. I love the truck but seems kinda long cause I plan to plow and have a couple of tight drives.

or there is a 2003 Ford F-350 XLT regular 4x4 Diesel auto
    47,066 miles
    AM/FM Compact Disc Playr
    4x4 shift on the floor
    hole for the goose neck but no mounting plate
    rhino liner
    $25,995

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

get the diesel, you wont regret it.

3. qualitylawnmanagement

picture of the 2000 ford f-350

tt.jpg

4. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

How much are you gonna be asking for your Current truck when it goes up for sale?

5. qualitylawnmanagement

and then here is the 2003 ford f-350

tt2.jpg

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

yeah the diesel for sure much better looking truck.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's a terrible price on the 2000, I'd give them $16,000 at best. My dad bought his '99, basically the same truck except it isn't Lariat with 108K miles in '03 for $21,000 with a bedliner, $200 custom seatcovers, and a couple extras. The '03 is a much better deal but even that price is a little high, probably worth about $23K or so.

As for the 7.3, great motor, WAY better than the 6.0 I don't care what ANYBODY says. We've had 2 of them, absolutely bombproof. Like I said my old man bought his F350 in '03 with 108K, it has 160K on it right now. We did replace a tranny and torque converter at 155K miles (original), new tires, new shocks, that's it. We haven't had to put anything into that truck except for general maintenance, it's been a hell of a workhorse. I'd suggest buying one, best truck you'll ever own.

8. qualitylawnmanagement

I really don't know if I want to put it up for sale cause I would have to sit around waiting for it to sell I am thinking about just trading it in. But there is 55% chance I am going to sell it. My truck retails for about $8,700 but don't have a set price yet need to see if I can get my new truck before selling. The truck I have now might come with a $850.00 DMI hitch would comes in great if you hook and unhook trailer each day slides out 2 feet and moves a foot to the left or a right with a pull of handle. It's a great truck just, has more then enough power, pulls my 18ft trailer loaded without a problem. When I was hauling my 12ft and one Dixie chopper and a walk-behind I was getting 9 to 10mpg.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

diesel i know someone who had the gas and he got 9mpg on avg between city and highway not towing a trailer...if you have the equipt. to tow with something that big then go for the deisel it will be worth it in the long run