Went through my mowers this winter.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Landscraper1, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

What's up with the new vacs?

2. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Years back, we were only Landscape Maintenance and Construction. We did make money but, started the nursery to get my dad out of the way. He was a Portuguese "LEGAL" immigrant with a great work ethic but, small ideas. We soon after, started growing the business quickly, maybe too quickly.

So, I personally did not care for the nursery or the flower shop. I was always a landscaper. I have to admit though, I did like the Power equipment side. Went to conventions, met with manufacturers and inventors of much of the equipment out there. It was great, until my PE manager stole about $100,000 from us.

3. Landscraper1

I haven't tried the new vac yet but, the former vacs were great. I really think that they could not make them any better. They had the best vac in the industry and now they change it dramatically. If you notice closely at the pics, I have a Hustler vac with a Protero container. An incredible, but expensive, combination. I have tried the Protero vac with no good results. The new Hustler vac looks alot like the Proteros. They went from a horizontal impeller to a vertical. I'm not happy.:confused:

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Impressive. But when all these guys strive to be in your place I don't think they understand the pressure, headaches etc.. They should shadow you for a week to really see what it's like. I was at my biggest much smaller than you are now and it nearly killed me. Sometimes smaller is better and surprisingly more profitable

5. Landscraper1

You're right. It is very stressful but not as stressful as back then. Me being on my own now now, is much less stressful. The best advice I can give many of you just starting out is "Don't go into a partnership". The auguments and the finger pointing and who is is doing what, was too much. Now the buck stops here and their are more bucks to count.

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive had bad experiences with vertical blower units also. Which has me looking at Grasshoppers and Toro/Exmarks since I haven't found a nice used Huster with the older deck and blower yet.

7. Landscraper1

I don't know about the Grasshopper. The Toro vac works well but, dos'nt last as long as the Hustler. The Hustler vac is built to last.

8. mtmower

It should. I don't know if there is a more expensive vac out there at $3100.00! I'm running one on a 66" XR7 and so far it's doing well except my SZ is underpowered with the 28 EFI Kohler.

9. mtmower

How often are you replacing wheel motors or pumps on the SZs and at what hrs?

10. Landscraper1

So far I only rebuilt a pump on 1 SZ. It had close to 2500 hrs.