1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Went to the Hospital today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamChrap, Sep 17, 2009.

  1. AdamChrap

    AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 937

    What a freak accident this was but it just shows you have to be careful all the time.

    I was cleaning out the shop and grabbed a 1 gallon plastic jug down off a top shelf (been there 9-10 years). The jug burst due to deterioration over the years and gave me a chemical bath from head to tow. It was a super concentrated industrial aluminum cleaner! Had more acids in it then I can count. Here is the label so you can tell how nasty this stuff is http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/psr_1063.PDF . So I spent 4 hours in the ER being bathed (Bad burning feeling in my crotch due to chemical all over my pants). The worst was a 45min eye irrigation, they put a huge rubber contact in my eye with a hose hooked to a I V and run 3 liters of water through it! It was awful and embarrassing due to the cold compresses that were needed in my "Special Area".

    Point being BE CAREFUL! You would think considering the things we all do that the last place to get seriously injured is cleaning the shop. You just never know.
  2. 4 seasons lawn&land

    4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY
    Posts: 3,597

    that is a freak accident for sure.... and it targeted the worst 2 possible areas it could, your eyes and your crank!
  3. Toy2

    Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,924

    Wow, glad your better, get some pictures up will ya....:laugh:
  4. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 14,700

    That is terrible. I hope there is no permanent damage. I've never heard of that happening before to a plastic bottle. The worst thing I have is muratic acid (nasty) and it's on the bottom shelf and staying there.
  5. Scagguy

    Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,522

    Off topic, Sorry about your dog Richard.
  6. AdamChrap

    AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 937

    I am going to be ok. Luckily I did the right thing and stripped down right away, took a shower with the garden hose. Ya the bottle just cracked in a ton of pieces when I grabbed on to it directly over my head. Still burned like hell for a few hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Posts: 5,852

    Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Lawn/tree pesticides are "lame" in comparison cuz they are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife.

    Truly sorry about Cricket -- I'm with ya buddy. Larry
  8. grub32

    grub32 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 28

    Acids are not usually stored in plastic b/c of their corrosive props. The strong ones should only be kept in glass bottles. I would have to think that quite a bit of the water that the acids were dissolved in must have evaporated and changed the acidity of the solution. That is the only that would have caused that you happen.

    Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

  9. mowerbrad

    mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,273

    Glad that you are okay. Thats a pretty bad situation to have acids all over you. Hope you have better luck from now on.
  10. AdamChrap

    AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 937

    I feel like a dodged a bullet!

    I think that is what happened. It had been up on that shelf for years and years.

    Thank you, ya when you are sitting in the ER and your privates feel like they are literally on fire and a tube in your eye it is indeed a bad situation!

Share This Page