1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Went to visit Wright Mfg...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DCE, Jun 27, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

This past Wednesday I had the opportunity, and most important - the pleasure, of spending the day at Wright Mfg's factory located in Frederick, MD. From start to finish, it was an awesome time and I had a blast. It started with meeting up with Jim Velke early in the morning at the local IHOP for breakfast and ended towards late afternoon. In between, I got a personal factory tour from Bill Wright himself, walking me through the entire facility and seeing laser and plasma cutting, welding of mower frames and Grass Gobblers, painting of Velke sulkies, watching Standers take form on the assembly line, and having a look around the R&D dept. I had an opportunity to try out a few mowers - a ZK in insanely tall grass [bush hogging the Wright way!], the midmount Z with a rear discharge deck, and a Sentar. Also got "Sulkies 101" from Jim, where he explained the various characteristics and advantages to the new Velke SuperPro, the original Velke, and the Velke x2. I also got to try all three of them out...my verdict is obviously, the spring suspended SuperPro giving the smoothest ride of all three.

In addition to seeing all the action on the factory floor and having "play time", I got to meet a lot of the folks in the offices there at Wright. What a really nice bunch of folks! I wish to thank Jim Velke, Bill Wright, and Hal White for being excellent hosts for the day. After all this time knowing about Wright's products, it was an absolute honor for me to finally meet Jim and Bill, as well as spending time with them. They were very thorough and answered all my questions.

Here are some pics I shot during my visit that I wish to share:

Stander assembly.jpg

Stander shipping crate.jpg

Stander ZK inside factory.jpg

Stander ZK up close.jpg

Velke SuperPro.jpg
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Wish i could go there
  3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like you had a great day ! I'm looking forward in trying out the new ZK.
  4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Cool, sounds like you had an awesome experience, I want to tour a mower factory sometime, looks really fun!

And even though I'm an Everride guy, that ZK looks friggin' amazing!
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're lucky. Wright looks like a pretty well run company.
  6. DCE

They definitely are. The lean manufacturing concept they employ optimizes work flow throughout the facility. Very impressive concept.
  7. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

It was certainly a pleasure meeting you Dexter and spending the day with you. Thanks for your time as well and making the trip up here. You have a lot of knowledge of this industry and a great understanding of equipment. Please contact us any time you have questions.

Jim V.
  8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't know Jim Velke posted here...
  9. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

I have always wondered why nobody makes a rear discharge deck. I had thought about it often from my time on the farm with a bush-hog or brush hog as some call them. The advantage of course, is you are never cutting any more grass, weeds, plant matter, etc. than you have to because nothing is discharged onto the side from your last pass. Cut quality is not a consideration when knocking down pasture, but it was surprising how nice it would look sometimes. Do you happen to have pics of the rear discharge mower and the cutting you did with it? Also this was an interesting post so thanks for putting it up.
  10. DCE

You never know who is also reading lawnsite too. I noticed upon my visit that two office employees were also perusing lawnsite :)

Thank you Jim, for the time you spent with me. You really need to youtube a video of you trying to flip that ZK like I saw...should really cut down on those "Standers don't hold a hill" comments :laugh: