Were did you guys get the money to get started?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Jul 10, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Tried getting a Loan at the bank, no can do with no credit (age 21). My parents won't cosign on it. Don't know about Financing the equitment, thought about government loans because they have a lower interest rate, and maybe even a grant. What did you guys do? Thanks.

P.S. I think i may take a small loan out, just use that money to pay it off just to establish credit so i can get a biggger one.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Work hard, earn some money, save some of it, buy some equipment, establish credit,and repeat the process.

That's how it works.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it because if you take out a loan you will likely respect the money a lot less and you are that much more likely to fail.

What I did, I worked my butt off at a restaurant washing dishes and also delivering pizza while I saved my money. I never went anywhere, I put every dollar I could put aside in the bank, and it took several years but I had 5 grand cash to start with, and also no credit.

Today, I still use that saving skill, I buy absolutely nothing on credit unless I already got the money and it just happens to be no payments / no interest so then that defers the stuff but still, money in the bank first. Why this is important is because right now I got money in the bank to last me through the rest of this year and into 2007, this is very important when giving estimates, it gives me that attitude of take it or leave it because I do not need it... You can fake it, but nothing beats the real thing.

You do it any other way, you're just paying them interest every month so you can go to work.
    And why pay for work, you need to get paid, not the other guys.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO
    Start with used equipment if you have a small budget, maybe even a decent 21" and good 2 cycle stuff.

Good Luck!

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Oh Yea, I forget something!

STAY AWAY FROM SEARS AND ANY HARDWARE STORE, OR BIG BOX STORE FOR EQUIPMENT!

HELP YOUR LOCAL DEALER OUT AND YOU'LL BE HELPING OUT YOURSELF IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I did it the old fashioned way. I earned it from working my azz off 12 hrs a day 7 days a wk.

7. AMEN BROTHER.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You can finance the mowers at a high rate but it is crap loans and hurt your rating. There is this old saying-- Maybe you have heard it, IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.
    The other catch 22 is that the easiest way to get money is to prove that you do not need it!

9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Work for a local co. Get a couple accts and use a 21" the first year or work lots of overtime.

10. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to save money is not to have a girlfriend or a drinking/drug problem.