were does the money come from

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

Where do most of you guys here make most of your money? (new lawns, grass cutting, fertilizing, pesticides, landscaping, etc.)

2. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

So far the best money I have made is doing one time jobs. Clean up's, large hedges, etc. I think it is going to take me a while to build the maintenance part of the biz.

3. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I always refer to my mowing work as the "bread & butter" money. By that I mean that I'll never get rich doing it, but I have a good core business of steady customers and I know that I can count on "x" amount of income per year. It's a given.

I also know that I'll earn every penny of it. So I use this money to pay my bills, my running expenses and make payroll. Then I make considerably better money on aeration/seeding in the spring and fall and my daily grosses for leaf removal are about half again to double what I make during the mowing season. So these jobs are the "gravy."

4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

The largest percentage of our gross revenue would have to be mowing. We are slowly trying to make irrigation a bigger part of our business. Mowing isn't the most profitful of all of our jobs...but its guaranteed $$ week in and week out, thats what i like.
    :blob4:

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We make out money on the larger jobs. Design, construction, land clearing, installations. Maintenance pretty much covers our expenses, and payroll.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Tree work, landscaping and then mower are the big money makers. I must say that this year snow removal is a huge revenue source this year. I have been non-stop since Sunday.

Gravely_Man

7. goose

goose LawnSite Member

Most of our gross comes from mowing year round , then landscaping , then fertilizing. Fertilizing is our most profitable.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing right now but a major chunk comes from spring tine "dethatching" (sorry JIM;) ) Applications are the most profitable but until I get more app customers, mowing brings in the steady flow.

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The most money comes from mowing. The most secure year round money comes from year round contracts that typically include fertilizing, and so forth.

Big seasonal money in aerating, reseeding and other renovation work.

Sporadic Landscape typically brings in good money as it is bidded in and is typically involved and labor intensive. These are good fillers for me in the cold season.

10. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We dethatch with 2 Walkers in the spring...there is a huge profit margin on on that...thats gotta be one of the easiest most profitful jobs of the year.
    payup