1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Were else for info?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by eskerlite, Sep 4, 2006.

1. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Were else besides this forum do most of you go for lighting news, updates,new products,troubleshooting,networking? Is there a conference that is good for lighting? How do most of you advertise and do you charge for a demo?
    Sean C.:usflag:
  2. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

OK I'll bite.The LVLIA conference in Scottsdale of course. That's what you want to hear isn't it?
  3. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

eskerlite, are there any happenings taking place in Mass. that I should be aware of? Anything I should look into to broaden my knowledge?

4. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We've never attended a conference, but perhaps someday we might to see if we can gain more knowledge within the industry. As far as advertising, we do mainly direct mail. We have some large ads up in a few lighting showrooms, and next year we might bite the bullet and do some commercials. They really aren't as expensive as I thought....for around $2500 per month you can get some pretty decent spots.

We don't charge for demos. We've gotten pretty good at pre-qualifying so that we don't waste much of our time.....especially on the potential projects that might be further away.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we dont charge as of now but I think we are going to start charging a C note on demos when they dont use us. I am thinking jobs on refferal probably are serious and wont see a charge but just too much late night running around to be doing it free.
  6. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

I charge 100.00 dollars for my demos when they are not referalls. The demo means the customer likes every fixture you put in with every lamp you showed them and they liked. I did one job without a demo and the customer was a pain in the ass wanting to move many fixtures. I dont give model names and numbers for my fixtures, just the brand name. I try to give them a proposal they cant shop apples to apples with.
    The conference thing I was getting to is dosent anyone go to a cruise or manufacturer sponsored workshop? Ive been to Turks and Caicos, Palm Springs and Redlands California with Nightscaping. Their local workshops try to lure in new prospects.
    What I dont get is why Someone in the Landscape Lighting field isnt assosiated with any groups that evolutionize YOUR Industry. Do any of the landscapers out there belong to an Organization like ALCA or Planet?
    Forget Deserts non stop disbelief that this is a volunteer position Ive been in at the LVLIA and that Im not getting a kickback from all of you joining.
    My kickback is to see that there isnt just 175 Lighting Contractors out there banding together like thousands of other groups in this Country. I want to see more members. With more members we have more power. Power channeled into the right direction. If you join and come to conference I will buy your drinks from 5:30 pm to 7:30pm ever night your there.(This isnt a beg its a funny, If you have been you will chuckle.) Desert there is no place for your reply here sorry.
  7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Sean, I have been to workshops/focus groups with Kichler to Puerto Vallarta, on a 7 day cruise and we are going to Panama in February. I of course also plan on attending the LVLIA conference in Scottsdale in February. These opportunities to get together with professionals from around the country are invaluable. I think it is also very important that people be involved in their profession on a whole. This is a relatively new industry and the people who get involved now will help shape this industry.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

shoot 2 nights and I could make sean broke lol. Drinks on him for 2 hours. Im like a fish. Im trying to talk my wife into going and we could make a vacation out of it and hit sedona and maybe the canyon.

Definatly by 08 tho. We will join long before then just gotta get caught up on work. I hate owning the landscape co at times. Got an 18 pallet sod job going on right now and the ground turned out to be rock hard
  9. desert night light

from AZ

who ever implied a kickback? You make it sound so good that maybe I want to join an association that in your words evolutionizes (whatever that means) and industry. You mean you got to go to Redlands California? Gee that's a real hot spot and the next vacation I'm taking. I've endorsed your group and you won' t let the likes of me in. So what do you want from me? :canadaflag:
  10. desert night light

from AZ

I have an idea Esker. How about you purchase a banner that advertises your conference at the top of this page that links to your lvl website. I bet you get 1,000's at your conference this yr. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: