we're talking spindles here....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I know there have been many threads on this before, but I need in detail help...

I have a 52" exmark TT, and one of the spindles is starting to feel a little loose. From what I was able to gather here on lawnsite.com, it looks as if these spindles are rebuildable. I have no experience with these things, so I don't really know what all is involved. I heard some talk about spacers, and some other kind of conversion kit?? I don't know what year this came in to play, but my mower is a year 2000. So, based on that info, what can you all do to help me? I am confident I can rebuild, I just would like to know what all is involved prior to me taking it apart. Any type of drawing, expanded parts view, part #'s, etc would really add alot to this discussion.

Out of curiousity what does it cost for a new spindle assembly? (the whole thing) I have heard prices that are all over the map, from $200 down to $70. Also, what do the bearings cost? 20 bucks a piece or so? I am guessing there is two bearings per spindle?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Buy a new spindle for $100 and be done with it.
    Yes they can be rebuilt for about ten dollars per bearing if you can match the bearing up and want to spend a few hours doing it. Not worth it in my opinion.

3. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I would rather spend the twenty and take a girl out on a date on a friday night with the other 80, lol. Anyone else out there have any help to offer? Is it possible to buy exmark bearings to replace them or do you need to get some bearings from jo-schmo and hope you can find one that fits?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you buy them from Exmark you may as well buy new spindles. It won't be much cheaper.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Here are the part numbers for what you need. The numbers are for J-thomas.com

Bearing JT-296 $9.88 OEM part number 1-513016
    Spacer JT-298 $2.11 OEM part number 1-323528

If you need the housing and spindle shaft, they have them also.

Changing spindle bearings is simple. Takes about 45 minutes to remove and rebuild a spindle.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

here is what i got
    I went to lesco last year to get a rebuild kit 85.00 but i could have bout new for 100.0 so he said the bag was open and i got it for 30.

April 27, 2005.jpg