Were to Buy Coal Tar

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by PaceSetter, Jun 23, 2008.

1. PaceSetter

PaceSetter LawnSite Member

Were do Coal tar Sealcoaters buy there Coal tar in bulk in Canada & what is the going rate or for a 45 imp. gallon barrell. Asphalt Kingdom is the only place I can find it $210 a barrel plus shipping.

Thanks in advance.

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got some from Star Seal, in the states, but shipping was up there. I'm close to the border so can p/u myself. Would think it be expensive to ship to NS. Not sure there is a market out there for Coal tar. There is not one here, as I only do 5% Coal Tar, and there all Commercial. All residential is Black Mac, as it last 2-3 years, and is a lot cheaper then seal-coating.

3. PaceSetter

PaceSetter LawnSite Member

I know this is a busy time of the year for sealcoaters. I am going to post on the forum again but people just don't seam to want to reply.
    I hope to start sealing a few driveways next week. I have been organizing, insurance, advertizing, business cards, truck lettering, buying all materials & equipment I think I'll need. etc.etc. I only sealed my own driveway which is 3500sq.ft. The AK2400 system worked great took me about an hour. The Coal Tar wasn't the easiest to pump out of barrels with the bottom 2" very thick. I let it mix circulate for about 20 minutes. Fairly strong odour but did a good Job. I added 5 gallons of water to each barrel & stirred it with a stick through the bun hole to get it all out. For the Coal tar sealers do you ever have a problem getting sealer? Asphalt Kingdom delivered 8 barrels to my door in three business days, which I thought was very good.

My questions are:
    Can I buy Coal Tar from someone other than Asphalt Kingdom? Not that I'm not happy with them so far, I am but can't find another supplier if needed. Coal Tar is cheaper delivered to my door approx. $300. a barrel were I would have to travel 2hours to Halifax to get BlackMac At about $350 barrel. Is the stuff Asphalt Kingdom thicker or better than the 5 gallon pails like they say or is it the same stuff as the hardware stores?
    Asphalt Patch & Depression levellor says on packages & buckets you buy at hardware store you can't seal for 90 days. What happens if done half hour before sealed?

I'm not real good with a computer and can't find this answer but is waterbase Coal Tar more enviromently freindly than oil base sealer? I have more questions but will start with this.
    Thank You

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if this helps. Look at koch industries, flint hills resources in the states, kansas, chicago, minnesota, I think.