We're too low, we've never been too low!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ej Landscaping, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ej Landscaping

ej Landscaping LawnSite Member

Recently a HOA responded to an email that said we need to re-bid because we are too low and to resubmit again.

We bid on a wide open 215,00 sq. ft HOA common area. It is a mow, trim, edge and blow. We bid it out on how long we though it would take us to get the job complete weekly and gave it some totals. He responded and would like the bid done in sq.ft. and that we were low. So, we did a little bit of research on lawnsite and we have seen rates from .003 cents per sq. ft to .005 cents per sq. ft. Is this an accurate or fair way to bid per sq. ft?

We have taken into consideration overhead and other minor specifics, we would like to know if anyone has used a square foot formula and if it has worked out.

Thanks, we appreciate the responses.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

215,00 ????

21,500 sq ft?

Or 215,000 sq ft... as in almost 5 acres?

3. ej Landscaping

Sorry about the typo...that was meant to be 215,000 sq. ft. Thanks for looking out for us.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

So you are saying $665 - $1075 per cut, per month, per year. A little more information would help. Ok so it is wide open, but how much walk way is in it to edge, time spent weedeating, is there a large parking lot to blow. Do they want EOW or weekly service.

5 acres mowing would be somewhere near $665 per month as a start. Understanding that we go all year here.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

that's about 5 acres. I would try to get at least $50-$60 acre with no trimming. maybe around $250-$300. $0.003 square foot * 215,000 square feet= $685 seems high to me. 1 acre = 43,560

6. ej Landscaping

thanks for the responses precision. Ok...here's the deal. There are 8 different parcels in this 215,000 sq. ft. HOA. some are bigger than others such as, one area is 68,000 sq. ft. and has a sidewalk down the middle of it and needs edging and trimming, and blowing...as do the other 7 areas. there is quite a bit of edging and trimming to be done.

7. ej Landscaping

also, guys this is a price per week. thanks again for the help

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Around here if you want the job, it would be $150 per mow max. unless there is an exorbitant amount of trimming.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Probly all in relationship to the cost of living in your area.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I never have been able to figure some out. Alot of places you have to have the low bid. I had one that I didnt get a few years ago, I bid it low but had some profit in it too. Another guy got it and I question the company, the answer I got was '' I was too low and would probably quit and pull out mid season'' Im not sure where the other company is today but Im still here