West/Central Texas Bareground Spraying.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SlaytonFarms, Jun 14, 2013.

1. SlaytonFarms

SlaytonFarms LawnSite Member

Great advice. Thanks, I was under the impression that I would have issue knocking down some of the grasses without the Glyphosate. Your reply made my research alittle harder and made the difference.

2. SlaytonFarms

I forgot to add my dye and surfactant both.

3. SlaytonFarms

I need to fine tune it I agree. But the Krovar is the chemical driving up the cost and it is near the quoted $80 bag, but the bags are 6 pounds each.

4. SlaytonFarms

I have come to realize the profit will come with volume. If I was able to drop the Krovar for something as potent for half the price it would help, but I will need multiple customers on a regular bases to make the bareground portion pay for itself.

I am going to test out for lawn/turf and trees next month to add some variety to my income. In planning for this, do those of you who spray herbicides and Fertilizers use separate tanks for heavy chemicals (Krovar/Glyphosate) and lawn friendly chemicals?

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Here again, I lack some of the experience that others have in bare ground apps. I do know that some of the herbicides used in bare ground are merely pre-emergent herbicides used at higher rates. Diuron for instance can kill trees at higher rates. Used at lower rates you can achieve Bermuda Release. A thorough rinsing might be all it takes to get the tank clean enough to use lawn chemicals if something like this were used. On the other hand, if Imazapyr were used, I would give the tank a thorough scrub down before using it for lawns I'd like to keep alive. Even then, I might sweat it a little.

It's always better to have dedicated equipment whenever possible to avoid cross contamination and the possibility of costly accidents/mistakes.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sahara and Krovar should be rotated rather than mixed together to preserve effectiveness of both MOAs.

7. greendoctor

Guess I am really good at cleaning things out. My normal bare ground mixes involve imazapyr or metsulfuron, with 2,4-D ester or Garlon 4 to knockdown trees and vines. I use double the max rate of tank neutralizer circulated through. Screens are cleaned off and the inside of the tank is blasted with the neutralizer solution at high pressure. Lawns, trees, and nursery stock are treated with the rig no problems.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

It's probably just me more than anything. The thought of having to call my Insurance agent for a mishap makes me sick to my stomach... I have used my tree shrub unit for "Total kills"using Glyphos/Triclopyr in rough terrain because I had much more reach with the pressure. A good cleaning and everything is fine. However, something about the phrase "bare ground" and the products used to provide months of control gives me Hellish/Nightmare pictures in my mind...

9. greendoctor

The only mix that ever made me nervous was 12 oz Oust and 10 lb Velpar DF. I washed everything out well and only used the sprayer for lawn fertilizations for quite a while after. Oust has quite a reputation for damaging plants in small amounts. Only vegetation tolerant is some grasses and conifers.