West coast biasism

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Biasism? Is that a word? Well, here is the deal. I am searching all sorts of different shows, expos, and learning events and 95% of them have ONE thing in common. ALL ON THE EAST COAST! Yall talk about meeting at expo and stuff and that is great. It is no more than a few hours to a one day trip for most everybody on here. But, look at it from my point of view. What if they only held the expos and training over here in Washington, oregon, or california? How many of you would come then? I just get frustrated that i want to learn and grow so much more and if i want to really do that i have to come all of the way across the country to do it! Heck, even most of the posts i see in the landscaping sections about pavers and places to get them are all on the east coast and we cant get CRUD out here! (Can i say crud here?:) )

Bah! Frustration late at night with too much caffine and a free access to an outlet is NOT always a good thing!

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--I wish I could feel your pain.

well, maybe not.

where I live I am within a good days drive of 80% of the nation.

and they all come here or so it seems.

hey--the upside of a tourist economy is low property taxes and still great services!:)

GEO

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Ive tryed to find shows, in CA. The only place I found any info on some is here http://www.turfcouncil.org/NewSite/events.htm
    I just missed the equipment show. I think most shows in CA would be in the LA area. Thats a long drive from WA.

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain, Acute.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Could it be that they pick locations that are convineint for most people? Maybe that would make you the forgotton americans that nixon talked so much about

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, I have been thinking that all summer. I'd like to go to these shows, but I can't aford to take the time off to drive or fly to the east coast or midwest. We need to start our own trade show!!!

7. Acute Cut

here here. i second that

8. Acute Cut

actually, that might be a good idea for real. How much of the market are these vendors NOT reaching by having it way out there? Interesting thought to really think about.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Ditto.

But remember Acute Cut, that's a minor trade off for having beautiful mountains, great skiing, fishing, hunting, rafting, climbing, hiking, no humidity, not driving on a rotary, no toll roads, being able to take an equalizer into a grocery store without a permit, wonderful weather (well maybe not W. Wa) and not having to listening to someone with a Jersee accent. .:p :p

When was the last time one of your neighors moved TO somewhere East of the Mississippi???

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Perhaps they have done their research and found out that the majority of the market is on the East side, no offense to the west coast guys.