west coast question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 17, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just got back from my first trip to california, and this is what i noticed: i stayed in la with a friend, everyone uses a lawn service. average price is $10 per cut, no trailers or commercial equipment, small pickups, 21 in. cutters, edger wacker blower. the lawn guys grind the lawn down to 1-1.5 inches , they all look like ****, my buddies lawn was infested with chinch bugs, clover, and crabgrass. i recommended dilox for the insects, and trimec for the clover, and told him to tell pedro to raise the blade on the crapsman. why do they cut the lawn so low? and will the chemicals i recommended damage the grass type that is present on the west coast? it didnt look like zoysa grass, but a mix between our grass type and perhaps another warm season type grass(bermuda maybe?) thanx for the help, i told him id follow up on this

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I wouldn't want to say without being more sure of the grass type. It was funny in L.A. seeing all the little trucks filled with **** equipment. I was in Hollywood in April for a couple of weeks. Those chemicals probably wouldn't hurt anything, but remember the mindset of Californians. :dizzy: Good luck.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, we went to hollywood park one day, not a bad place, but the bums here look like the mayor compared to some of the dudes i saw hangin out there.

4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

now you got to see what i deal with every day. housing costs so much that scrubs are taking over the lawn care industry here. most people can barely make it paycheck to paycheck and don't want to pay for chemicals or extra services. all the customers here seem to think that they need to have their grass cut super short so they don't need it done as often :rolleyes: