west nile virus, while cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 5, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

What do you guys for protection against West Nile while you're working? What spray works for you? or lotion? It's supposed to be bad this year, and found in every state.

I have six citronella candles in my back yard, looks like the set of the show survivor, with all the tiki torches!
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually very rarely get bit while working, its always later in the day when sun is going down. I always use that OFF stuff or whatever its called, it works really well, friend of mine used it at the race track we go to one time because theres a ton of bugs due to the tire smoke or something and it works great keeps all the bugs off
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd forgot all about that West Nile bug. Eeeeeeee. I better get some bug spray. OFTAA.
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Deep Woods Off. When the rains come here they get really bad. Some days you can bet bit all day. No Seeums are bad here too.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I never use any time of spray. I have tried before to use bug spray and sunscreen that just gets me cakes with dirt by the end of the day. So far (knock on wood) no problem
  6. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

I use Deep Wood OFF. It's 100% DEET and works well. I really use it more for ticks and chiggars more than for mosquitos. I have a good friend who is an intomologest at UGA, and for the past two summers he's been in charge of all the West Nile research, and he tells me not to sweat it- it's not the big deal that the media hypes it to be and the only people affected by it are the elderly and people with a weakened immune system. I still treat my yard just to keep from getting bitten though.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

let me see...west nile in one hand...chemicals guaranteed to kill you in the other hand....

honeee! can you brang me another cold beer...and my .38?

the big G has a decision to make!

GEO :eek:
  8. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

My a$$ was eatin up on Friday here in DFW. Scratchin like crazy today!
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If I were to take this so called threat seriously then I would also have to take the lotto seriously and buy my first ticket ever.

The statistics I recall was only 1 in 10,000 mosquitoes has it and if you were bit by one you had a 1 in 100 chance of getting it thatÂ’s like a million to one chance. Not saying it can't happen but you got a better chance of getting hit crossing the street while working. Now if you were a horse I would be scared to death my state we had 1 person die last year of this we had unofficially 12,000 horses die from it.
  10. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

From what I hear less than 50% of the people who have it ever have symptoms. If I knew a mosquito had it I would let it bite me and take my chances of possibly getting the flu like symptoms. Once you have had it you are then immune for life.