West Nile

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterlogged, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, we just got our second report of a mosquito that tested positive for West Nile virus in our area. Have to start being careful. Cities will probably start spraying for them, but we still need to be aware of areas with heavy mosquito populations.
    Heat, mosquitoes, hail, alligators, ticks, armadillos, coyotes -it's crowded out there:laugh:

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Coincidentally, I was just reading this article on West Nile here in CO as well. First report this year so far. We don't have any damn water though for them to breed. Hot, dry, windy, and the state has multiple fires.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

The state of louisiana is heavily populated with Mosquitoes. And customers wonder why I stress to them to address any standing water issues on their property. Nuthing like having a drainage system that holds water and becomes a breeding ground.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

A few years back they were spraying for west Nile around LI. As it turns out the pesticide that they use f__k with the molting of the mosquitos. It also does the same for Lobsters and it decimated the lobster population in the long island sound.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

People in the deep south are forgetting about how important it is not to have standing water around. I guess it will take a serious outbreak of malaria to remind them.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I remind everyone who tells me to throw water on hardscapes/ roads/in woods ect they are giving breading grounds.
    Standing water bad.
    Lime disease bad

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Peter knows something about this...

We had dead crows show up near a seasonal creek a couple of years ago that tested positive...

Don't know how his year has compared, or how many human cases show up.

10. Use repellant and stay hydrated. A mosquito has a range of 1.5 miles. As someone who had his irrigation career wrecked by west nile I can assure you it is worth every precaution. In most cases it will barely affect somebody but it can be deadly as well. No harm in getting checked to see if you already have the antibodies for west nile in your system then you don't have to worry about it.