West Nile

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterlogged, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I just wasted 30 seconds reading these

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Tell me more about this.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

maybe that is why they dont mite me:drinkup:

and here i thought the west nile thing was gone. crap

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Apply to LawnSite for a refund. :waving::drinkup:

5. The mosquitos nest in the moistest areas they can find. Impatiens and St Augustine at least in Dallas TX gets lots of water and tends to be the most moist areas of the landscape. If it's in the shade it's a double whammy. When the county investigator came out to my house to interview me due to the hospital being required to report west nile patients she walked up to my front door passing by a lawn of St Aug, huge masses of impatiens, humongous elephant ears, and giant azalea bushes and told me your yard is beautiful but it's also the best harbor for mosquitos on this entire block. Mosquitos just need a moist environment. Eliminating standing water does not eliminate mosquitos.

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That make's total sense to me, thank's.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would say this is also a great argument for not watering the turf daily.

There are some discussions about mosquito traps. Damp moist areas used as breeding grounds that dry out every 24 to 36 hours

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It will never go away Ralph.

I didn't worry much about it when it came into the states and I have a weakened immune system.

Now I don't worry about it at all, I am sure I was infected the first year and fortunately fought it off.

I would worry just as much about putting all sorts of chemicals on your skin that don't belong there.