Western? Fisher? M eyer?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Trimline, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of you could tell me the plow best suited for the following situation. The plow will be going on a 99 f350. The way it looks right now the route will consist of 60-75 driveways and possibly a couple small lots.
    The only dealers I no of around here are Western, Fisher and Meyer. I have been leaning towards fisher but have heard they are kind of slow.

So what do you guys think?

I have an older e47 now.
    All I can think about is something faster.
  2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you go diamond you can get the bigger motor a 60H will be faster and diamond is a heavy plow. What about a frink plow they are in NY have a plolymer blade.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we have a fischer on a 2000 chevy 1500 z71 and i think its great. i dont really think its slow and so far there have not been any problems

[Edited by mdb landscaping on 01-26-2001 at 04:09 PM]
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id go with the Fisher or Western,the better dealer(one open during storms) would get my money.Why an F350 as a drivway truck?As long as its a reg cab pickup,but 60-75 driveways,and a few small lots.I think your going to need some understanding customers,since itll be a while after the storm until you can service them all.Good luck and get at least an 8.5 ft plow,or a 9 with for that 1 ton,the big blade will save time and the 350 can push it,so might as well get the bigger blade.
  5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

First choice 8.5' Fisher v-plow.

Second Choice 9' Fisher straight blade.

6. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

I would go with a Western MVP or Fisher EZ-V ( only real diff between the 2 are the mounts). Check my signature for what an 81/2 Western would look like on that truck.

And I agree with John. Even if your driveways were right next to each other, there is no way a single truck could service that many accounts well.

If you were REAL fast you might be able to do 6 an hour. Thats 11-12 hours for 1 push barring any problems. In a 4" plus storm you will probablly have to push each one 2 if not 3 times. Thats 36 hours straight!!! Better you than me pal :D

7. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Dock boy, I don't know what kind of driveways you plow but I could do 6 an hour with a snow shovel. I live in Rochester N.Y. the averge driveway size here is 18x30 or some where in that area. I have 31 seasonal contracts with a 3 inch trigger. All my driveways are in the same town but not all that close together. Right now my route takes my about 2 1/2 hours with 4 inches or less in driveway. Only get 175 a driveway have to do a bunch to make any money.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

What size are the driveways out east? In Michigan most drives wouldn't take more than 5 minutes at the most. The only one I do is my own, but it is pretty average for around here.
  9. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I would go with a fisher, I've had no problems with mine...it is a little slow angling side to side but the owners manual says about 6 seconds side to side is normal. If I were going to plow lots with that truck I would put an EZ-v on it if I had the extra cash at the time, but if not a 9' fisher HD plow would be my next choice depending on what size driveways you plan on plowing it may be to wide. I'd go for the parking lots there's more money to be made from my stand point.
  10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

With that many driveways I would have a Snowman rear plow and nothing bigger than an 8' front plow. I hope that if you just have one truck servicing all of those drives that they are really close together. As long as there is a shovel boy in the truck with our guys we can do about 8 drives an hour. With drives next door to each other and a rear plow I would expect to be able to do 12-14 an hour.