Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. StockmanLawnscape

StockmanLawnscape LawnSite Member

We have one of the Toro 30's. It's been a PITA! It does leave a real nice cut for a smaller mower though. We run all toro's, so we are going to try out the new commercial Toro 30" in the spring. Saw one at the dealer and it looked good, but it's all about performance!

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I also service a lot of that area, definitely plenty of money and more than enough work!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at a Toro or xmark 30" as well. Turned down way too much business last spring with small gated fenced in yards. I hate turning away any new business in neighborhoods I currently service. As a solo operator pushmowing these yards are a time killer. If my Grandstand did not fit through the gate it was a no go. I used to haul around a 36" or 33" mower, but neither one seemed to fit my needs so I sold them off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. StockmanLawnscape

StockmanLawnscape LawnSite Member

Yea the 30 inch mowers are great. Well, the idea I great. Hopefully the actual product improves with the commercial ones. It has saved us so much time at some places. The residential one just isn't built to take a beating throughout the year. Being solo though, you might be fine with the residential one since you can take care of the equipment yourself. I can't always control how much our guys beat up ours lol

5. cmos123

cmos123 LawnSite Member

Wow, looks like I am the third guy coming to the Pitt area. I had a few questions too. I am planning on doing lawns and trees as I do now here in Austin Texas, but was wanting to get into snow blowing for the winter, any of you guys do this? We are looking at the Butler area to move to, is this a nice area for yard work? Also, how long is the mowing season up there? Down here it is May to Nov or so, but it can slow down in July and Aug do to drought. I too will be getting insured and doing everything right, this being said, what is a fair price for the average lawn up there? Down here I would say it is 30-40, but there is always a illegal alien who will do lawns for half this! And when customers see my price they say, "the last guy did it for half that", which I would always reply "then call him". But they couldn't because he was usually out of business.
    Thanks for any advice.

6. lawn2012start

lawn2012start LawnSite Member

when are you guys doing your first fert. for this season? what are you going to use.

7. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome! your pretty close on your numbers and times for mowing but we usually start mowing in april. last year it was the second week of march. butler isnt a bad area but southern butler near cranberry has more work and more money than northern butler. the farther north you go the farther apart yards are

8. cmos123

cmos123 LawnSite Member

We looked at homes in Cranberry and they were to rich for me. Southern Butler and Evans City are the exact areas we are looking at. Thanks.

9. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Theyre not bad areas but from my experience the money isnt in those areas

10. planetlc

planetlc LawnSite Member

Evans city is right next to mars/zelienople/cranberry... you should be able to find work. Anyone have a trailer for sale or know someone who does? Have a buddy looking to buy. Enclosed or open works