Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

Its almost always walk behind day for my guys.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The week still has two days left, but I feel it has been a success. Why? Because I have said "No" to three new opportunities.

I'm pretty well flat out, and believe I only have about 4 slack hours out of 65 for the six-day week. Last week, I lost 4 hours because of wet, but was full days the rest of the week, finishing the week schedule by7:30 on Saturday evening. I lost about 3 hours this Monday, and will do well to finish the week with two 10-11 hour days Friday and Saturday.

A few weeks ago, I thought I was starting out very thin with mowing work. But, the calls and contacts just keep coming. Having said "No" to more is a milestone, because I hate to turn away work. I need a few hours each week as slack to account for weather. Bottom line: I've been tapped out the last 3 weeks, and am so grateful to have had such great work days recently.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll get there one day. ;)

I started out with a 21" and still have a bunch of city jobs that can only be cut with a small mower.
    I schedule all those jobs on the same day so I don't need to drag a trailer around for no reason.
    There are also some that I COULD use the 36" on, but the terrain isn't suited for one, and it just cuts/looks better cut with a 21".

4. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I really have no idea where I am, I'm behind last year I'm sure but can't be by much. Think I've added 10-15 lawns since last April and lost only a couple.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, that's a whole different world there, I'm only use a 21" on 5 or less properties per week... All are done using walk behinds!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

There is less than half a dozen they need to get the push mower off the truck for. All the rest are done with a combination of 48 inch WBs, and 44 and 61 inch Zero Turns.

7. PAlawn

PAlawn LawnSite Member

Hi, have not been on here in a while. I am near the Pittsburgh region but not in the city. I cut basically in the two towns nearest me and a little bit outside but not much. Still don't have a lot of lawns or enough for that matter but I feel I will finally be expanding this year (hopefully).

8. OakNut

I expanded by 3 accounts today. :)

Coincidentally the same number of accounts I'm looking to drop because they are low-pay, lots of work, and the whole time I'm there I'm expecting my equipment to be stolen.

Life is good. ;)

9. PAlawn

PAlawn LawnSite Member

Awesome man. I have got three people come up and me for businesses cards this week so hopefully I will get some calls at least from that. Also have a meeting on sat about some possible new lawns but I don't know any details so that can be good or bad. In the end I hope I can just at least get one or two out of all these at least haha.

10. OakNut

And after battling two weeks worth of jungle growth, I put in my two weeks notice today for the three crappy jobs.

I told them I would cut once more in two weeks unless they find someone else before then (prays hard for that to happen) and that would be it.

I feel bad because all three are elderly/disabled and are honestly great people, but "nice" doesn't pay the bills.
    I underbid them during my first season. (this is my 3rd/4th depending on how you look at it)
    Ultimately, it turned out to be a TON of trimming work due to crap lawns and crap IN the lawns. That coupled with the excessive growth of a biweekly cut had me spending too much time on each and I refuse to leave a job looking half a$$ed, so I suffered through it.
    I now have other clients who pay MORE for jobs that take a quarter of the time each of these take.
    THEN there's the fact that I need to take a plastic grocery bag to pick up all the trash that the natives toss into the yards as they drive/walk by.
    I've found everything from McDonalds bags w/food, to weaves, to aluminum cans, to bottles of cheap whiskey. Then I nearly hit a freaking BRAKE PAD last time. Screw that.
    THEN there's the fact that I have to leave my truck where I can't see it and worry that my equipment will have grown legs while I'm around the corner mowing.
    On top of that, they are the only ones I have in that area, so they don't mesh well with my schedule.

Next to finally taking a shower after this long, hard day, this was the best thing to happen today.

Heck, it's 9:45 and I'm waiting for dinner to be delivered. That's what kind of day it's been.