Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

First I noted fruit trees and I believe crab apple. Then elm and on Friday a medium sized maple in the yard next to a client had leaves all over the lawn.
    I took a pic of a few. Gimme a minute...

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the birch are loosing 'em fast! Also, as pointed out, some of the scrub apple and some variety of elm.

I think this is normal.

3. OakNut

Elm tree. Been dropping like mad for three weeks now.
    Last week I went after skipping the previous and the entire lawn was covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the maple I mentioned seeing last Friday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate having to go back to the truck to get the blower to blow off walks and such BEFORE I mow and again after.
    Whatcha gonna do?...

4. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is where that mower shines, it actually mulch's the clippings into the lawn. Which is the healthiest approach as well.

Looks good, do you have the mulch kickers installed?

5. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be cutting that lawn and mulching and/or bagging the leaves with your Ferris. Faster and easier, imo. My 21 only comes out when absolutely necassary if I need to get through a small gate.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. OakNut

Not sure what you mean by "installed" since they come that way (SR4), but yes.

I mulch when possible and the leaves just get mulched right along with the grass - up to a point. Last week I had to blow off the lawn with the backpack before I could mow - there were that many leaves.
    It's not so bad when there is somewhere you can blow them to (like the woods near this property), but it sucks when you're surrounded by nice lawns and need to contain them and mow them, or bag them so you don't end up blowing them all over a clean lawn (or the neighbor's lawn) after you are done and blowing the walks/drive.

7. OakNut

Depends on the lawn and the route. That lawn isn't well suited for the Ferris, as the grass is thin and the tires pull it loose easily. I've used it there, but only when very dry.

I push a lot of lawns that others would use a WB on. I can't stand the way the large deck cuts on certain lawns - too many "humps and bumps".
    I'd rather do it slower and have a better cut. Just depends on the lawn.

8. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Get the leaf boxes built fellas, the leaf loader has to go to work soon enough!

9. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, I'd be out of business and broke if I used 21's when I could be using WB's... I'm in it to make dough as well as provide a good product!

10. OakNut

"When you COULD be using a WB".
    Like I said, it's not suited for one. If you used a WB on that lawn you'd be fired in quick order for tearing it up.
    Even the SR4 pulls up the grass in the back yard if I'm not careful.

Honestly the time saved on this small lawn isn't worth the hassle of unloading the walk behind.