Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We got hammered with rain today! Normally I mow through everything but today was different. It was thick fat rain coming down hard.

I got to challenge what the Honda 21's can do, it didn't clump up or bog down. Was way to wet to put the 36" walk behind on the lawns.

Everything was getting very slippery so I decided to call it quits half way through the day.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Tues is my "project/catchup" day, so I removed some shrubs and scrapped the next job after looking at the mass of red approaching on the doppler.

I made it to Agrecycle to dump my debris just in time, as it started to rain as I was unloading. I hate going there - it's either a dust bowl, or a mud pit and I always manage to need to go there right after having washed the truck. :(

It really didn't rain that much out east. Just enough to screw with my plans and dampen the grass. An hour later the street is dry.

Crossing my fingers - tomorrow is a busy day.

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up man, staying busy I hope. Don't see you on here much but I seem to drive by you a few times a season

4. OakNut

Gonna look at my schedule and pick a good day to demo a Toro 30" mower next week.
    Not sure which - most likely the residential one. I can't wrap my head around two grand for the commercial Turfmaster mower. If I really need a commercial mower larger than 21", I already have a 36", but for a grand, I think I could get some use out of the Timemaster.

It really just depends on how it feels to use it. I've been keeping accurate times for my cuts, so I should be able to see if there is any time shaved off.

5. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

demo it but if you buy id definitely pony up the extra $$ and buy the exmark at $1800. my x series 21 is the best push mower that I have bought. I have heard nothing but bad things about the toro 30". even after talking with the dealer. travis just bought an exmark 30. maybe he can give you some feedback

6. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

The 30 is an amazing machine, cuts great, saves time, mulches nice and is easy to use. Built like a tank too.

7. OakNut

But the Exmark is the same mower. Why would it be better? :confused:

8. OakNut

I asked about demoing a Toro Commercial 21" to see how it compares to my SR4, but he doesn't have one to demo.
    "You can buy one and return it if you don't like it", he said.
    I told him I didn't want to stick him with a used mower just to try it out.

Everyone says "buy commercial", but I'm not spending that much on a 21" mower only to find I don't like how it handles in comparison to what I've been using. I honestly don't CARE if the commercial mower lasts ten years. I want the mower that is easy to use.

Easy to use every day for 3-4 years.
    Harder to use EVERY DAY for TEN friggin' YEARS.

OOOOOHHH!!! Which one should I get???

Make sense?

9. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Did they make any optional blades for the Toro / Exmark 30" mowers yet?

I think I read somewhere that you can get a mulch baffle kit for it?

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

The exmark 30 is a very easy to use machine. I actually enjoy push mowing for short periods of time whenever I use it.