Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. white350

white350 LawnSite Member

even in the wexford area were people are (lets just say not struggling to pay bills), out of 10 customers 1 might even entertain that cost from me. what are peoples opinions on mulching are they making this a profitable job or are they just doing it because its a paying job. Yes I get that big mulch jobs 20+ yards can be profitable. just would like to here others people opinions
    :usflag:

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta be $80/yd minimum, IMO to be worthwhile. Don't give them the breakdown, just the final price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Every one of my mulch jobs are profitable, why do them if they aren't? I do most of my work in the Wexford/Allison Park/Gibsonia area and people have no problem paying $100 per yard installed. I think you'll find if you can give a quality product (lots of companies do mediocre work) that people will pay for it. I stay away from the "cheap" customers as they always want to haggle, I won't do a job if I can't do the best work possible. My name is on everything I do, it's all about the type of clientele you're servicing.

Of course I do a lot of estimates that don't pan out because they go with the cheaper guy, good for them. I just know that I can provide great service at a somewhat reasonable price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

You gotta be at least $80/yd, IMO to be remotely worthwhile. Give them 1 price and if they take it great, if not, move on to the next. While its not hard to figure out, 1 price for everything youre doing sounds much better than the breakdown.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. Pressedun

Annnnnd we're getting absolutely crushed this winter, unbelievable how many events we've had this year.

I'm ready for spring, too much snow and too many crazy hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Pressedun

I meant to add that too, if they see the estimate as $1000 for 10 yards of mulch I believe they're less apt to go with it. Do $1000 with edging/shrub pruning/weeding/installation/delivery/disposal and you'll be better off. Describe the product just don't give them too much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. planetlc

planetlc LawnSite Member

So I'm not out yet, will be as soon as the snow stops. With Salt supplies dwindling, what are you guys doing?

8. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

FYI I'm not dead and I didn't quit. :D

I'm back
    . :)

Just picked up some stuff yesterday to get ready for the season....

[​IMG]

10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

If I can swing it, I'm interested in the HC-150.

I was recently hit with about $1,500 in vet bills so my "new equipment" fundage took a severe hit. I was able to manage to pick up a new FS90R, and had planned on getting a commercial hedge trimmer to replace my Craftsman (gasp) trimmer, but don't have that kind of money now.

If I can afford your used unit, that will help. I'll check back with you later and let you know for sure.
    :)