1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I work alone. I am not looking for anymore push mower lawns but thanks. :waving:

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Not unless they're $100 a cut right Barnes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

:rolleyes:;)

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm still torn on that "push mower" thing.
    I got the Ferris so I could do larger lawns, but I'm still finding it less work and more profit to do teeny-tiny "push mower" lawns in most cases.

I showed my wife a pic of a "lawn" I picked up in Swissvale. "Thirty bucks a week for this" I said to her. "Takes me fifteen minutes including unload and loading back up." ( I NEVER expected they would agree to that price - not in Swissvale)

She shook her head and said "People must be nuts."

Indeed, but those nuts are paying the bills.

5. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you there OakNut, I have a lawn in Sharpsburg, I poop you not is not bigger than 200 square feet. $25 every other week for maybe 7 minutes?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 accounts that I have to carry my 21" Honda up the steps. I think it weighs 85 pounds? Anyway... dollar per minute they are my most profitable lawns :laugh:

I'm finding out that they can't get anybody - so just expect to pay double.

Anybody see that Cub Cadet Hydro walk behind on craigslist for $600? I went out to look at it today

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Correction. You CHOOSE to - you don't HAVE to. ;)

It's good to be young. You'll get old one day though - or just decide you've had enough of that crap.

8. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no clue as to these yards where you're carrying mowers up/down steps, but how big are these lawns above/below these steps?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. loupan

loupan LawnSite Member

does any one have a catcher for a bop quick 36 for sale thanks

10. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3.... about 5 steps on each property.

Each of them is $40 weekly and less than a 10th of an acre.
    Two of them have retaining walls in front of the house - so I just lift the mower over the wall. The other one is either up the steps or park in the ally around back. It's hard to back the truck up the alley with the trailer so I just park in front and carry it up the steps.

Each take less than 15 minutes total. Yes its a pain - but for 15 minutes of my time, I will take these lawns all day long :laugh: Keep in mind I have to compete with stupid low prices... like $50 per acre pricing out here! Almost every estimates I give has to be followed up with a rebuttal because "the last guy" was half the price.

I'm 31, not sure if that is "young" but I'm also pretty fit. Been doing P90x for 2 years now. I feel better now than I did when I was 18! :weightlifter: