1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

ya I know if I dont get any jobs which I know I will did 3 estimates today alone, I will still have june booked because of hedge trimming, alot will need done then

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I cant believe how busy I have been this year. I have picked up 4 new yards and keep getting asked for estimates. I lost the big mulch job I bid. I bid it at $2200 for 26 yards of mulch and edging and the other bids were $1700 and $2700. Needless to say the $1700 one won but the homeowner only wanted to pay $1100. Oh well, on to the next one!

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Eh you don't want those types of people anyway... $1100 to do 26 yards of mulch? That barely covers the mulch cost! I'd say even $1700 is low!

4. McG_Landscaping

yeah i couldnt believe thats how much she wanted to pay. And the 1700 was very little profit to the point of where it wouldnt be worth doing. I guess when you live in a 1,000,000 + house in North Park you have to be cheap.

5. Pressedun

Yep, I have a house on Olde Villa Drive off of Babcock, they're pretty cheap. Don't really want to spend more than they have to!

6. McG_Landscaping

I have a few customers like that but most of them just have me do work and are fine paying what ever I ask them for. I am always leery of doing this though. And speaking of Babcock, I had a bin fly out of my truck after it was improperly secured after leaving a yard. It luckily bounced into a parking lot off of babcock and not into oncoming traffic. It gave me the worst scare of my life! Needless to say I triple checked EVERYTHING before leaving each yard. That was always my worst fear and it happened.

7. Pressedun

Oh I hear you man, some clients will complain about $1 extra for something and others don't care what it costs, just do it!

I've had barrels fly off my truck at my old job in NY on the highway at least a handful of times - it's really not fun... I make sure everything is good to go before taking off, definitely my worst fear.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

ehh it happens, I have lost a barrel or 2 before I worry about them on the highways and usually have to stay under 50.

9. McG_Landscaping

Yeah it was my first time and probably wont be my last but it sure was scary!

10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting rained out is starting to become a regular thing around these parts. Looks like I will be running a day behind this week also. I have a large new account that I got a couple days ago, but I can't get to it with all of this rain. It has some drainage issues and will require a couple of dry days in a row for it to be cut with a larger mower.