Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I've been running into bees a lot this year. I was stung friday and monday a week ago. I am allergic and just hate being stung in general. The yellow jackets have been out to get me
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Oh man so its not just me 2 fridays ago (That extremely hot one) We were doing a landscape job and I was pulling weeds, found a ground wasp nest and they got me 8 times 5 on my back through my shirt and 3 on my arm. Then the following monday my one guy got stung by a wasp he cried the next 2 days...
    Oh no an intruder!!

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised I haven't gotten stung yet this year. I might not be posting tonight if I had gotten any closer to that hornets nest. I was flying around that tree and bam...right there. Believe me, after finding a dozen nests on Friday, I've been watching every tree and shrub very closely. These guys did a hell of a job of hiding their nest right where I couldn't see until it was almost too late. I said would you look at that.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I ran the piss out of my walk behind today...we managed to get hunt club all done in a hair under 6 hours. Usually takes 7-8 hours. We didn't pull every weed, but the weeds are slowing down, so it wasn't a big deal.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Whoops...wrong thread :hammerhead:

Sorry...I had two tabs open and posted in the wrong one :hammerhead:

6. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Newbie!

I have only been stung twice this year and both times was from the same nest... just a small in ground one but other than that I haven't seen any nests or bees really. Lucky I guess! Last year I think I was stung on 5 separate occasions, I guess the season isn't over just yet though!

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

did you kill that nest? I usually keep a can or 2 of bee spray in the trucks after friday I have 4 in my white truck now haha. Do you guys keep spray in the trucks?

8. Rake 'n Bake

Rake 'n Bake LawnSite Member

Looks like a white faced hornet nest. Those suckers have no sense of humor. We used to find them when shearing spruces at the tree farm since they seem to love building nests in 6' white pines. We'd trim trees for 10-12 days and in that time you'd see someone running for their life about every third or fourth day. Good times.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I have spray in my truck, but I'm not messing with hornets. Plus, a powder would work better for the residual effects.

10. billythekid

billythekid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm splitting a mountain of wood and split a log and got attacked by ants... does that count? and attacked by jagger bushes the day before that