Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to shoot for Monday April 2nd but could be sooner if this warm trend continues!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mower there OakNut!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Due to dealer/servicing convenience, I narrowed my choices down to Toro, Exmark, or Ferris. I wanted a floating deck hydro and Toro doesn't offer a hydro until you get to a 48" deck, so that got ruled out.

I got this at Norwin Rental during their open house and this one was marked down from $4,999 sale price (I had been in previously) to a $4,750 "this unit only" show price. If that one had sold to someone else and I wanted to order one, the price would have been $5,200. (show pricing)

The comparable Exmark (Turf Tracer S-Series) was not in stock, but show price was $5,300.

I had previously set a limit of $5,000 for what I would spend, so while the controls appear more user friendly on the Exmark, the Ferris was in my price range.
    Also, I liked that the Ferris has electric start where the Exmark did not (only avail on 20hp models), and more importantly, I like that the Ferris has an infinitely adjustable deck raised and lowered with cranks on the deck rather than using washers, or pins.

I was a little upset after the purchase when I discovered that it was manufactured in 2008/2009, but after speaking with Ferris, I learned that the only difference between this and current models is that they have discontinued the "electronic sensor-grip operator presence system" - mine has it, as I found out by accident. The dealer stated that they purchased this unit "before the price increase in January".
    Anyway, I now have a brand new commercial grade mower that should serve me well for some time. I've got some more practicing to do, as this is the first I've operated a walk behind, and the controls take some getting used to, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

BTW, if anyone in the east is looking, Penn Hills Rental is having their open house on 3/23/12 if I'm not mistaken. Show pricing and 10% off everything.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Those Ferris mowers seem pretty nice...I like those pistol grips.

5. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mower!!
    I am mowing one on wednesday. then i am hoping to do a few next weekend then a full schedule the week after

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I didn't think I'd be getting one of these for another year or two.
    I made it through last season with a Toro Super Recycler that I picked up new at the start of the season.

[​IMG]

It certainly doesn't look like THAT ^ anymore! LOL!

I was initially hoping to find a decent used walk behind, but don't have the funds to pay a private seller in cash, so I ended up buying new since I can make payments with 0% financing for 3 years.

Most of my other handheld equipment has been upgraded to commercial stuff, but this is my first commercial mower. I think I'm now ready to take on those procrastinators who wait until the end of April to call about getting their lawns cut.

7. billythekid

billythekid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm ready to cut some grass. I got rid of my 36 so i'm down to one mower this year. Hoping to acquire some more equipment including at least a 1500 this year maybe a bigger trailer and maybe a 60 inch turf tracer. I might get an llc this year aswell, a whole lot of maybes and i hopes.

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If anybody's looking for a 16' trailer this year, mine will be for sale within a couple week...I just need to brighten it up a little bit this weekend.

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like might be the first week of april to start mowing we will see

10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Oaknut, you will love that Ferris. I have a 48" ferris which was my main mower for a few years. It is now a backup to my Grandstand. Ferris makes a nice machine, if they made a stander I would buy one.

Looking to start mowing April 2nd. Last year I did not start until April 14th. This will be nice to bill out a full month right from the start. Equipment is ready to go and everything is ready on the business side. I just have to mentally prepare myself for the grind of another season.
    Posted via Mobile Device