Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody mowing full time yet?

We started Friday, and we're doing our high profile properties this week, then probably everything the week after. Kinda nice to be starting early this year. Hopefully it doesn't rain as much though.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What are those in SWPA doing about mowing schedules?

I started on Wednesday, worked nearly full days W,Th,F, half on Saturday. I was shocked at a few of them with the growth I found. I plan to work nearly a full schedule this week.

Other years, I may mow one or two before end of March. Some seasons, first cuts are a few days into April. This year, I will have about 10-12 days worth by the end of March. Looking at other markers, I think we are about two weeks ahead of a "typical" (whatever that means?) year.

Frost in the forecast for Monday night - down into the 20s. What stage are fruit trees with buds? This, or another hard frost a little later, could be a disaster for the fruit tree farmers.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Good point about the fruit trees.

One upside to a hard frost would be hopefully the grass slowing down and maybe i'll slow down or kill some wasps that have been buzzing around.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Missed this.

I'm located in Penn Hills.
    Unfortunately, this area is going downhill, so it's a crapshoot when you get a call for mowing here. Some pay OK - others not so much.

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I've cut my own lawn 3 times already.
    I've done a few cleanups and have some more to get done, but now everyone is calling to get lawns cut!

I'm starting up tomorrow with mowing. Not a full schedule this week, but I figure by next, things will be humming.

All I know is that the people who wait until the end of April to call around looking to get their jungle cut will pay dearly for that mistake. The grass is already getting too high.

6. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Its cool. The properties are actually for a guy who rents them out or sells them or something. Pay is decent! I took them because they were 2 streets apart
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jonny01blaze

jonny01blaze LawnSite Member

Started cutting client properties this week, also jus the higher scale ones. Everything fertilized or not though is growing like crazy.

Anyone work the Gibosnia area? I have a client I would like to refer off to someone. To far for me to continue to work this year due to route changes.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where you are working, or what kind of properties you mow, but you could be faced with a forage crop by now!

I hit two properties today that I did not do last week, and I really had a handful. I clearly misjudged on these. On some, I am starting second round tomorrow.

9. jonny01blaze

jonny01blaze LawnSite Member

Started cutting client properties last week, also just the higher scale ones. Everything fertilized or not though is growing like crazy.

Anyone work the Gibosnia area? I have a client I would like to refer off to someone. To far for me to continue to work this year due to route changes.

10. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

me and travis both work in gibsonia. where at?