1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Grass growth is fading fast!

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Sure is, lawns are browning up fast too.

Nasty little storm today eh? Some roads were closed up this way with lots of trees down and some power outages!

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, got soaked to the skin! I think it was about 12:50 when it hit, maybe a littler earlier.

I hunkered down in the truck and ate my lunch, but drizzle continued. I think I lost about 30-45 minutes of work. When I got hit, I was working with my trimmer, Stihl FS90. I know I got soaked, but apparently the trimmer got soaked as well. I could not get it started. I went on about mowing (2 large properties, 2 different mowers), but my attempts were in vain.

I ended up taking off the cover, and blowing air with my BG86 hand blower into the engine area. I suppose I let it run for 2-3 minutes. I remounted the cover, and it fired first pull. Something got wet. I lost more time with this trimmer trouble than with the rain/wet grass.

I was thinking later, I suppose I have never gotten the trimmer wet like that before. Usually, I am close to the truck, put it under cover, and it does not get wet. Today, I was a long way away, and my cover was useless. When I made for the truck, the rains really let loose.

Just for those who care, soaking wet clothes takes less than an hour to dry while on person, working with a slight breeze. Useless bit of information, I know.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a problem starting any trimmer after it was wet...one of my mowers doesn't start when wet, but trimmers...that's strange.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I JUST finished a hedge trimming job in forest hills - was literally placing the last bit of gear back in the truck when it started to pour.
    I was mad that my next several jobs were screwed, but grateful that I had completed the hedges before the monsoon hit.

Also, I have a FS90R, and I had trouble starting mine once as well. The seal on the back window of my truck cap is bad and I occasionally get water that drips right down on the engine of the trimmer in the truck bed. Sputtered a bit, but after a while it ran fine.
    None of my stuff sits out in the rain except the mowers on the trailer.

My Ferris got it's first real soaking out there today - that's for sure!

7. OakNut

Just mowed 16 lawns today w my 21" toro, came home and had a pizza, and now I'm firing up the mower to get MY lawn done.

Beat my old record by 3.
    If you dont hear from me in an hour, send an ambulance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Haha ive had those days
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OakNut

Hold off on the ambulance.

Instead, please dispatch beer truck...

:drinkup:

10. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic