Western VS. Fisher

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by EPP200, Oct 9, 2000.

1. EPP200

EPP200 LawnSite Member

This week I will be buying my 1st plow. I have decided on either Western (which everyone around here seems to have) or Fisher (don't see many around here). I have read the numerous posts about the various brands and was originally leaning towards Fisher but most of the posts sound like the Fisher is really hard on the truck. Soooo, now I'm thinking Western but not to fond of the mounting system (as compared to Fisher) and am now leaning towards the Western. Any suggestions?? I have a 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty. Thanks for the help ........ ED
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If you go with a v-plow it's almost the same plow painted two different colors.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote goes to Fisher.
  4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll put in a vote for Fisher, although I've never used a Western. Consider the service you will get. If there aren't many Fishers around your area, there may not be many Fisher Dealers close. I bought one of my trucks with a Fisher & then found out that none of the local dealers worked on them really, so I'm on my own for repairs, or have to travel. It doesn't break so that hasn't been a problem (knock on wood). Since I already had Meyers plows, I'm now well versed in the general repair of plows & confident I'll be able to handle any problems that come up with the Fisher. Its a hassle getting parts though, so keep that in mind when choosing.
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

I say get a Fisher.
    Western plows have a knack of being very sensitive when it comes to controls. It the controls get knocked out of whack, you will be pulling your hair out trying to re-adjust them.

6. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is it with you guys and Westerns/Fishers? Or should I say what is it with us and Boss Plows? Here's a question for the Western crowd; have they improved their newer plows, because the old ones that I've used in the past were complete junk? (chains, electrical connections, motor, etc.)
  7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen Boss plows in ads in the trade mags & I've heard you guys talking them up. Problem is nobody around here sells them. So we're stuck with Meyer, Western, Fisher or Hiniker in my area. I saw a Boss at the BBQ & it looked great. I can't wait until someone sells it around here so I can get one. BTW I saw a fellow contractor's Hiniker plow yesterday & what John Parker said is true. The guy showed me how his A frame is damaged & from reading about John's experiences, I showed the guy how his plow is also twisted.
  8. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

BRL; we like Boss, but they're not flawless. One thing is that they don't mount in 35 seconds (or come off) as advertised. In fact, it's always taken 2 of us to connect/disconnect the units. Anyway, check out the Boss website for dealers and if you don't have one, maybe you can purchase directly from the factory.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Only problem with Boss V's, is they DONT trip. I hit a manhole cover at 15mph a few years ago, and bent that plow up so bad that it tewaked my hood and fenders. So, dont plow streets that have hidden obstructions. Now the Fisher V's have their cutting edge trip which would have saved me $2000.00. Either way a V is the way to go. Yes 2 men 3-4 min to line up mounts on my Boss.

Boss makes a really nice and beefy straight blade.

10. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a diamond plow.
    1. They have a better curve to throw the snow
    2. There cutting edge is center punched for more use of the blade and more strength.
    3.I think they even cost less than a fisher they are going on the name to get more $$ out of every one.
    I love mine and would defently get another one.