1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Westwood (Briggs & Stratton) Seizure..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Peachy62, May 16, 2008.

1. Peachy62

Peachy62 LawnSite Member

Hi, Can anyone please help.

I have a Westwood T1800 Ride On Mower (48in cut)with a B & S 18.5 hp twin cylinder engine which ran out of petrol and subsequently was found to be almost out of oil (due to leaking drain plug!). After running out of petrol I tried repeatedly to restart the engine after refuelling, the motor turned over but , due to the lack of oil? appeared to nip up. Anyhow, after leaving for
    24 hours, I removed the plugs, lubruicated bores and freed up the engine without any hardship but when I try to start by ignition, it just clicks.

Do you think the repeated turning over, when I run out of petrol & hot has damaged the starter motor or ignition starter ...or any other you can think of.
    Or have I completely butchered the motor...turns by hand with no problems..
    full of compression.

I know the motor is a Briggs & Stratton 18.5 hp twin cylinder with
    cast iron bores...circa 1998/9.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Peachy62..Kent, UK

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

The clicking sounds like the solenoid may have burnned up. Have you tried by-passing the solenoid to see if starter will turn over ?
  3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Pull the spark plugs and see if the starter will turn it over then.

My theory-
    Running w/o oil caused excessive wear on the valve train.
    Too much valve lash and the compression release doesn't work.
    Adjust valves.
  4. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

This may sound obvious, but check to be sure you didn't run the battery down when you were trying to start it initially.
  5. Peachy62

Peachy62 LawnSite Member

Many thanks to all for their replies...

After the engine cooled for 24 hours, It unseized without any problems.(It only appeared to nip up in motorcycle two stroke terms).The battery was suspect anyhow, so I was jump charging off a sound car battery which normally works but this time just clicked. Think this may be a burned solenoid problem? Can I run a battery charge straight to starter motor to see if will turn...I can see the positive terminal on the starter motor..
    do I just earth to chasis?? Sorry but I'm electrically braindead!

If not this , sounds like I might need to look at the valves...

First I will re-check to see if engine will jump start less spark plugs..by hand it turned freely enough and had no irregular noises!

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank all your help so far.

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

You can check to see if starter will turn it using jumper cables by attaching the jumper cables from a good battery directly to starter and frame or engine block as ground. Hook the positive cable to the red wire there on the side of starter then just touch the ground cable firmly to frame or engine block momentarily . You can do this with the switch on or off just to see if starter will spin it over. Please be advised however not to jump start your engine with a running automobile as it could blow a diode in the charging system of the mower engine.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can almost always free a seized engine back up, there's but so much of a trick to that.
    But, the engine is still damaged, if it really did seize, yes.

When cranking stand way back from that thing, too, if it even starts it might end up cracking the block and just for example some little piece(s) could go flying... So if you do get it started don't rev it, not for at least an hour just let it idle and see what it does. Then you still need to be real careful with it, and basically plan on ordering a new one but at this point I guess you don't got much to lose, so, good luck with that.
  8. Peachy62

Peachy62 LawnSite Member

Again my many thanks for your continued help....

When I first tried to re-start the engine (after nipping up) I used a jump
    start from a running car battery. This may have frazzled a diode or the
    starter? Now when connected to the car battery (non-running) ,I turn ignition key and it just clicks.

Can I add that none of the inboard fuses were blown
    (1 x 10 amp / 3 x 20 amp) which I thought would have busted if an
    excessive electrical loading?

As yet I haven't checked the starter motor direct nad can only do
    this tommorow now due to lousy wet weather here in South East UK..
    I will post you all on the results.

Very much appreciate all your continued guidance, advise & support.
    Cheers - Peachy62.