1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wet Boots / Flow Control

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Aug 9, 2013.

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

If you care to, please share with me the functionality of the flow control feature, i.e., why do you open it all the way and then throttle back until you see a noticeable drop in flow to the heads and then open it back a couple of turns.

What other benefits are there to the flow control feature?

Currently when I install a valve (usually DVF 100), I do not even touch the flow control. I am sure that is wrong!!!

Can it be used to stop the water flow when replacing a solenoid so that the water supply does not have to be turned off?

Trying to learn.............

Thanks, Mex
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A partially-closed flow control limits the movement of the diaphragm, and increases its lifespan.

If a flow control is set up so that it is on the fringe of restricting flow, the tiny bit of pressure loss it introduces translates into an increase in the force that closes the valve when the solenoid is de-energized.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What he said; flow control, don't install without them.:)
  4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

It also can save on water

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Timing is everything!

I went on a service call a couple of days ago where an old WM valve was sticking open. If I opened and closed it with the bleeder valve enough, every now and then it would close.

I remembered what you had shared with me in this thread. I adjusted the flow control down and it now "works like a charm!"

Thanks for your help/knowledge!