wet equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DamicosLandscaping, May 31, 2004.

1. DamicosLandscaping

DamicosLandscaping LawnSite Member

i left my mowers, blower, weedeater.. all in the rain yesterday.. how bad is it for that stuff to get wet.. or is it tough enough for any condition, i have toro, and stihl? thanks

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have a garage or shop so all my equipment stays out side all season long. My stuff works good year after year. Recently I did start to put a tarp over all of it at night though.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Its not immediately in danger, unless water gets mixed with the fuel. But definitely invest in a $10 tarp. will help delay rust.

4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

It must not be too harmful,at least in the short term because at Lowe's,Walmart,Home Depot, even dealerships that sell the high grade commercial stuff,mowers and other landscaping equipment sit out in the open all the time.It probably turns over fairly quickly but still,I've always thought it would be cost-effective to have SOME sort of shelter for this stuff.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have always wondered the same thing. Our local JD dealer must have 4-500K in equipment , implements, and mowers just sitting outside day in and day out all year long. I don't know about you guys, but when I am spending alot of $$$ for new equipment, that's what I want, NEW equipment. Not weathered, rusty mowers that have sat all spring in the rain for little to NO discount..

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I looked at it this way, you pay top dollar for equipment so take care of it. Cover it up or put in a garage or something. At least out of the weather

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that is alot of money to leave outside in the elements. But I have been caught out in rain with no ill effects on the equipment.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt leave them sit out in the rain and stuff all the time, I looked at a used mower and they said it was one year old but sat out side all year, you could tell, paint was faded and the deck was rusting badly. It takes its toll in the long run.

9. DamicosLandscaping

DamicosLandscaping LawnSite Member

i tarp them every night... when i know its gonna rain.. they are covered right away.. my question just was, do you think i did any damage to it last night, by forgetting to tarp it. thanks for all input guys. frank

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

Not at all, for one night its just fine but if it happens consistantly during the year it will age real fast.