1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

This may be a little off topic, but has anyone else had this problem. I'm fairly new to lawn treatments. I do a lot more mowing. Because of all the rain and how busy I am in the spring, I end up doing my lawn treatments when it's wet out and I can't mow. Being out in the wet grass all day my feet got really soaked, pruned up, and even got blisters because I kept going. Anyone aware of any socks, type of shoes that may help? Thanks

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Try some muck boots, or other rubber boots. That is what I wear when I am applying. I also wear some water proof pants that I got from the local golf store.

3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The rubber boots are the way to go when you are spraying lawns. When I am just on a wet lawn though I have a pair of Nike tennis shoes that have been applied with gortex. I think they are actually hiking shoes but they are waterproof and comfortable.

4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Go to one of the marine stores (West Marine/Boater's World) and buy some storm boots (Yellow). There're not too expensive but real comfortable. A pair of foul weather pants and you'll be set. Skip the yellow hat and slicker unless you want to be seen as the Gorton's Fisherman guy. I've used one pair of boots for seven years now.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ant: I've seen those and they'd be great for fertlizer etc, but your feet would stilll get wet and contaminated by pesticides. Boot may be better.

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You should always wear rubber boots when your doing chemical applications!

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What in the heck are we talking about???? Are you guys talking about actually spreading pesticides and getting wet feet? If you are spreading pesticides in ANYthing else but chemical resistant boots, that is just nuts. you don't wear regular rubber boots, you don't wear yellow "muck boots", you don't wear "lawngrips" or whatever they are, - even if they ARE a sponsor of this site, and you SURE don't wear tennis shoes. This is just lack of common care and sense when it comes to the use of pesticides of ANY type.

9. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly runner. I was talking about the rubber boots from lesco when i am spraying. As for mowing and getting wet feet I love my waterproof nikes.

10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yes, we only wear butyl/rubber boots, calf-length, no laces or leather to absorb pesticides. Since they are so inexpensive ($25-$35/pair) they are routinely replaced when they get "funky". Steel-toed boots are not normally necessary as they do tend to get considerably colder in the toe area during cold weather. LabSafety Supply has a ton of different types with various grip/lug patterns. Tingley makes a excellent rubber over-boot that can be worn over a old pair of tennis shoes during warmer weather to minimize how hot your feet will get. I'm looking for someone that makes a decent pair of calf-length socks that won't end up sliding down your legs and ending up in a ball at the toe. Anyone that has done this job for any length of time knows the frustration of having that &%@+()! pair of socks LOL. I've thrown those away many times and replaced them at mid-day only to get a equally-crappy pair. Insoles can help some but they tend to slide around and bunch up as well.