wet fertilizer, what to do

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by FERT-TEK, Jun 22, 2008.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

What to do with wet fertilizer. A couple days ago my pg and push behind both got rained on before I could put the bonets on them to protect the fert from the rain. Once I got to the next job I removed all the product from the hoppers and then wiped the hopper openings clean before putting in fresh dry product. Big pain tin the but. What do you recommend I do with the wet product left over. Couple days later I seems dry on top but I dont have time to investigate further.

Any tricks other than covering the hoppers when expecting rain. How does a product like fluid film work on keeping the openings clean?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Fluid Film? Great stuff but not for that.

Dump the wet fert out on a big piece of plastic or cardboard and leave it in the sun for awhile. When its good and dry, step on it to break up the chunks. Then, sift it through hardware cloth into your spreader. remove chunks, repeat until all sifted.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I hate when that happens. Grass guy is right. But it only works if humidity is medium or low. Maybe you could drive it to El Paso for a day or two.

Or...cover the left and right openings in your spread and just use the center hole. Open it up wide--to about 3/4ths of an inch. Lumps go through better.

Or...mix it with some good dry fertilizer--half and half. Screen it.

Use the lumps to fertilize trees and bushes.

4. mngrassguy

Toss a cup at a time in your compost pile every once in awhile.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't happen to me very often even though I'm in an area with high humidity and frequent afternoon T-showers( Over the years I've become diligent about using spreader covers and throwing a tarp over my equipment when I see it coming. I bag up the wet stuff and use it for the treatments on my lawn and ornamentals when it does happen. It still works and I'm not jacking with it when I'm trying to make money.

6. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

This happened to me just yesterday. I was pissed. First, the bag broke. So I put it in a 5 gallon bucket. It is an ornamental mix. So I figured that it would be handy in a bucket. Second, It starts to ran while I was inside the house. Third, I do not have a compost pile to fertilize so I just dumped it down the sewer..... :) Kidding. It is still in the bucket. Not sure of how to properly dispose of it. I'll call Ewing in the morning and see what they say.

7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

that's how ya do it.

8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

18 years is a long time to be in this game Dave. I'll bet you've got some great stories to tell. Don't you hate when you're having a great production day like that and something like that happens? I know I sure do.

9. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

I've been spreading fert for 30 years. If you are doing any kind of production things are going to happen. I can't tell you how many times dry product got wet with our without a hopper cover. They are not water proof. If its real humid out when it rains your really in trouble. I don't know everything either, but I can tell you that it's not a matter of if your fert will ever get wet it's just a matter of when. It will happen. You can count on it. Absolutely nothing wrong with your post.

10. mngrassguy

I too have been doing this for over 20 years and no mater how careful I try to keep my fert dry, things happen. One time, after picking up a ton, I parked it at my house and had to run. While I was gone, a big down pour came unexpectedly and filled the back of my pick-up about a foot. Soaked about 10 bags real good. Took me 6 mos to dry it and use it. What a mess.:hammerhead: