1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wet fertilizer, what to do

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by FERT-TEK, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

That's not wet...that's swimming! What a nightmare.
  2. as110

as110 LawnSite Member

I bought a big bag of fertilizer from Home Depot and when I opened it that's when I saw that it was wet. I had to spread it I couldn't wait for it to get dry so I spread the lumps by hand - what a mess and it took a long time. It has been more than 2 weeks and it still isn't looking like it is getting any dryer. I am trying to dry it (whatever is left of it) in the garage because we have rain pretty much every day and I am not always home to spread it on the sun and move it back before it rains. So the smell is strong in the garage.
    I wonder if it is safe for my family to inhale for weeks until it is dry and used up. Is that smell OK?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A slight amonia odor is no problem. There is no pesticide or herbicide or insecticide--right? I am sure your family will let you know if its too strong. LOL.
    Perhaps you need a big exhaust fan in the garage window. Rain is not good. It will not dry out much until the humidity comes down below 50 percent. Filter it and try to use up anything that will spread. Open the spreader up wide as needed. Use the lumps to feed trees. Or break up the lumps until they are spreadable. Hope this helps--I hate wet fert. Does any company make a spreader cover that is truly waterproof?

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Could you explain more about this Rain thing you speak of.
  5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Rained here 2" last night. First time in 45 days. Forgot to bring in my spreader.....
  6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Just spit my beer all over the keyboard! :)

Man it's been dry.
  7. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

usually dump it in the vicon. that machine is great for chomping fert
  8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

You have a Vicon? Great!!! I'll bring over my 2 lbs of wet fert so you can dump it in your vicon....:laugh::laugh::laugh: