Wet Grass Cutting -How long after a storm ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tportela, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tportela

tportela LawnSite Member

Its rained nearly every day here for a week, The lawn is over due for a cut, I guess I can cut extremely wet grass on my new ZTR if needed or is it best to wait till dries up a bit.

I know most of you here make a living from this however I am a private homeowner w/ 2 acres BUT I have only one day off to do the job, what do you suggest....Just do it or wait till it dries up a bit, again its overgrown.

Thnx Members..

2. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

you can cut wet grass, but what you need to watch for is the ground. also wet grass will clump and cling to your deck worse than dry grass.

if the lawn is still wet, your ztr will rut it pretty bad. turning will definitely bring about cosmetic problems.

in all, it's up to you. I'd probably wait if the ground was wet.

3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Cut a pass or two and see how it looks. If it doesn't clump and doesn't leave ruts go for it. If it does then you know your answer to your question.

4. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

As Wheels said, I'd be more concerned with the ground than the wet grass. If the ground is solid and will not rut then you can more it wet. You can mow it in the rain if needed. I find that the the deck stays cleaner if the grass is really wet compared to if it is damp. The really wet grass tends to wash the deck clean as I mow. Each brand and model of deck is different and will give different results in wet grass though. Another tip is to mow wet grass at lower rpm to slow the blades. That helps quite a bit for me. Take your time on the turns and you'll be fine.