Wet grass help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diddy, May 5, 2011.

1. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

Hi what is the best way to handle cutting wet grass. It seems like around where i live all the professionals start when the grass is still really wet, do they do anything special to their mowers. I use a 3 speed lawnboy or a 21in hi vac snapper. any suggestionsor advice? Thanks

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

The professionals don't use lawnboys or snappers that's the difference.

3. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

thanks you. what should i use

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I've been in business for 13 years, Gravely, eXmark, and my lawnboys are my mowers. 3 brand new lawnboy 6.5 duraforce still in their boxes, and 10 other running 6.5 duraforce lawnboys. They never fail me. I start out my day with my small yards if they are on my route for the day, and I use my lawnboy. Even on dew saturated yards I don't have any real issues, except for the occasional hulk hand from reaching in the shoot to scrap the clippings out. Maybe if you are cutting too low you may have an issue? So I'm not a "professional" huh? :hammerhead:

Matt

5. Midwest_cutter

Midwest_cutter LawnSite Member

I as well start out with my lawn boy push mower. It does a swell job in dewy grass. Just keep the blades sharp and the decks clean.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

oh no your definately a professional dont worry. maybe i am cutting it to low. do you use any kind of spray to prevent sticking of grass to the deck?

7. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

do you clean the deck after evey lawn?

8. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man you're sure wrong about that. Mr. Willoughby has been using his Snapper Hi-Vac
    professionally for more than 30 years. You should see how rich the guy is.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, cut a bit higher if it's wet. If you start spitting lots of clumps stop, but keep in mind the mower will probably drop clumps when you do. Clean the deck somewhere it's ok to make a mess. I had to go over a couple of lawns today with my blower to break up clumps because the grass was long and damp.

10. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not afraid to bust out the push mowers in the dew. But I don't do much when it is very wet.