wet grass/mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxwd5000, Apr 17, 2003.

1. xxwd5000

xxwd5000 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

mowing season is here! what is the best type of blades to run in those heavy morning dews or in the rain? high lift, medium lift, gators ect.. - does it makes a difference on the brand of mower and the design of their deck? i run dixie choppers for now.
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Chime on in John!:D He has some knowledge in this area.
  3. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

have had good luck with a high lift blade, sharp. i don't mow in the rain, so don't have much experience with that.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to run the mulching or "gator" blades they lift alright and they cut the grass in really tiny pieces.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Don't mow when wet. It's not great for the machines or the grass.

Kevlar underwear on. Flame away........
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I run High lift mulchers pretty much all year to avoid large clippings and/ or to reduce the clipping size and pack more into the baggers. If I do get caught in the rain or mow in a heavy dew the mower cuts just fine.
    I am sure that mower deck design would play a role in the quality of cut in these situations.

I have never read anywhere that mowing when wet is bad for the lawn. Unless of course the discharged grass clumps up.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Double High Lifts!

res429 50.jpg
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Gators or double gators all the way - mow in the rain - snow - dry - whatever.

Thanks, brad
  9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

When the grass is wet I have a problem with grass clippings getting stuck under the deck, I use Raptor mulching blades with a scag 36" w/b ..... I here the blades hitting the stuck clippings.. I try avoiding cutting when wet,, Never when it's raining.....

Lou :cool:
  10. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

I have new exmark 36wb and also bought the mulch kit.

I have 1 customer that asks to "bag when it rains so her dog don't track in the clippings" if it's dry she doesn't care. Let's say its a heavy dew morning or just got done raining alittle while prior. If I am using the mulch kit from exmark, should i worry? (that's the reason she left her old guy, he refused to bag or mulch) or just mulch it everytime? Will the clippings be small enough that a wet footed dog waon't track them in the house?