Wet grass on sidewalks, driveways...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lohse's Lawn Service, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

It is unbelievable with the amount of rain we have been seeing over the last two weeks and although this has been a problem before, I thought I'd ask the pros their thoughts on the matter.

What do you guys do when the green, wet grass temporarily stains the pavement? I don't mow in the rain, unless it's a country yard, but even after a morning dew? How do you guys prevent it from leaving stains? Is there really no way around problem? I really don't have time to wait for the grass to dry before I cut, so your thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Nothing you can do. If the customer complains about it then you can try as hard as you can to keep the mower tires off the pavement and that will prevent staining. The other option is using a power washer but that is not really feasable.
  3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Thanks BigBone. Guess I just needed to hear that from someone else. I thought I was being "unprofessional" by leaving it, but like you said, there's not much you can do. Thanks for the help.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I usually try to make sure I get all the debris off the concrete. I don't worry about any staining. If I get a complaint about it, I just make sure I don't touch the concrete & enter from the road on every area (or as much as possible).
  5. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

I try to minimize the driving on the concrete, and try to pick the spots where I have to. Most people don't notice things that are not between their car and the front door, or near the back patio. Make those two areas look nice, and complaints will be few and far between.
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I don't like doing it either. One time this year I was trying to clean the deck of a 21", I kind of banged it up and down on the wheels. It left a green Donut shape on the guys drive way. I was worried about it, but the next week it was gone.

I'm not sure how temporary these green stains are but they do go away fast.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have had a mess in our area 30 days of constant rain....we attempt to stay off the concrete with mowers use more trimming. we carry bleach to make solution on upscale hotels to clean it up and that work....we lay down cardboard to get across walks....this has been the worst 30 days of mowning we ever had.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I try to stay off the concrete as much as possible in conditions like those. Blowing clippings on the sidewalks isn't so much an issue till you run the mower over the clippings and that really leaves stains.

But they seem to wash off very easily.
  9. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

We always use the Redmax 8000 and use our boots to (scrape) the stains off. Works every time!
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.....BIG blowers help a lot.