Wet Grass Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPnTX, Apr 28, 2007.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine is married to a lady who works at a property managment company mainly for apartments. I want to use this to my advantage getting a bid on some of their properties.

I was talking to her the other day and she ran off a list of likes and dis-likes regarding LCO's and most of what she said was basic common sense. However wet grass was one of her pet peves and I'm not sure how to respond should we get into a contract.

She says you can't mow if the grass is wet. Now I haven't figured out what she means by wet but it's a given that at least she means right after it stops raining.

So I wondered if this is a common clause of sorts in a commercial contract or even a issue usually.

I can only imagine this would be unreasonable if your schdule is full.

She did mention previous discussions she's had where the LCO tried to argue their point she indicated her response was "not my problem".

Maybe she's just a big "B" and can't be reasoned with but I at least wanted to get some ideas on how to respond to her next time this comes up.

any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's no wonder other LCO's try to argue their point. She is trying to tell them how to run their business. That would be like you telling her that she can only show apartments to prospective renters only when it is dry out. If it starts raining, she has to cancel the appointment and set it up when it is dry.

Weather can not be predicted. Sure, there are times when you can work around the rain, and maybe she could be accomodated sometime. But for her to say that "it's not her problem" indicates that she is not going to be someone easy to work with.

What we would tell her is this, "when we can start telling you when you can show apartments to prospective renters, you can start telling us how we can run our business and when to cut." Say it in a joking way, and see what she says.

There really isn't any other way to answer her. She seems like "it is going to be my way no matter what". And she will eventually find someone that gives in and lets her run their business.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

How I address issues like this is to mention in the grounds maintenance contract what I feel to be unacceptable mowing conditions.
    Excessive trash, vehicles incorrectly parked, rainfall in excess of a certain amount, usually one inch, all comprise the need for a re-scheduled visit.
    The first two will result in a surcharge as that is obviously the managements inability to correctly supervise their properties.
    If the person still continues to argue, I simply refuse to do the work - let them find someone else to screw up their grounds. And yes, if my crews have to come in after a previous contractor has been fired, the corrective cut or maintenance is an additional charge above what the contract states.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I hate cutting soaking wet grass myself, so I'd agree with her. I'd make every reasonable accomodation to skip mowing if it was raining or if it had just rained and everything was soaked.

This, of course, if I have the TIME to do it the next day. If not, it gets mowed when it's wet, and that's that.

But her response of "not my problem" means she's a beotch with an attitude. I wouldn't want to deal with her period.

I always am up front with my customers, in stating that I must have FULL control of when mowing gets done, time of day, frequency, skips, etc. Because I'm providing the service, and I'm in charge. I will listen and attempt to accomodate a customer if they come to me with a concern, and in such a way that they're not trying to "tell me what to do", but I won't be TOLD how or when I'm going to provide my services.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Anytime a customer hasn't had much luck with prior Lco's, that tells me there's likely something wrong on their end... I've been through this school more than once, at first their complaints appear reasonable, but it isn't long before it starts to dawn why prior Lco's had a difficult time.

Sure there's always the odd Lco who can't hack a certain job, it happens to the best of us, but all in all most Lco's are pretty good at what they do, so...

While it is understandable that some shopping around might be required, when it appears the customer is calling 10 Lco's for every 1 that ends up doing the work, I'm not so sure I want to be working for the cherry picker, it only works when one of us does it :laugh:

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mow when it is wet on commericial properties and the problem is keeping grass stains off the sidewalks and concrete. We sometimes will use a 21" instead of larger mowers so we don't get any part of the unit on concrete. On occasions we have carried the mower from grass strip to grass strip. Fortunately it don't rain much but just last week the irrigation controller went wako and one rye property was wet .....it was a big mess to get it looking nice.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this. How in the world are you supposed to do all the work not only on that place but on all the rest of your accounts as well if it rains or the grass is wet. If it is a steady rain then yes we try to schedule around it the very best we can, but if it is just sprinkles or showers we work away. I have had a few customers say the same thing she did and I just replied that this is Oregon, this is what it does here. That is why we have commercial equipment. You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time. Thats what Mom used to say.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think We all use common sence when it comes to that,,,,,

I have seen LCO's making a royal mess when grass was wet....
    Agree with the above.... Who's running who's Company

9. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Your the boss...put PITA's in their place! We have Frog Toggs rain gear. Google it some time if interested. Beats the hell out of anything else I've found.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What if its suppose to rain everyday of the week? At some point you just have to bite it and mow wet grass or you will work your arse off the following week. I hate mowing wet grass but sometimes you got to do what you got to do. We got 4" of rain this week and you don't dare skip a lawn in the spring up here with that much rain, let alone if it gets fert. Sometimes the grass doesn't dry out at all up here when it grows fast in the spring.