1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wet Grass?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, May 14, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best way to cut wet grass? I have a Lesco 48" Hydro walk behind and a toro Z-Master w/ 60" deck. Yesterday I cut a lawn where the grass was pretty wet and it clumped up real bad, had to go back and rake today. Should I take the deflection chute's off of both mowers?

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I always find it better not to have the deflection chutes on at all. Its kinda hard to mow wet grass and make it look good. just mow slow and double cut if needed and that is about all you can do. (haveing more hp helps too)

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well, if you HAVE to cut it when it's wet, then you may have to just double cut it to chop up and disperse those clippings and clumps.
    And if it's real bad, you may then have to hit it with the blower to disperse the clumps a little more.

The other option is bagging it, but I just hate bagging.

4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE raking. I had no choice on this lawn but to cut it. THe guy's got the most beautiful lawn of all that we do. Its like a golf course and we've had rain for 3 straight days here in Minnesota. Had to get out there before it got too long. The turf is so dense if I waited any longer, I think I would have really been screwed.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Double cut it then grab the backpack and just start blowing it off.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Cut it down and wait till it drys some before you go back and double cut it. If a customer can't understand rain then there morons. Morons have to pay a 50% stupidity surcharge :cool:

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I just mulch as always, might have to blow a few turds, no BFD. We are way ahead of rain averages this month and I am still batting 1000 on being on schedule. I see guys driving around on Saturday with 1/2 ton trucks dragging full of grass and I just grin.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Bingo. I agree.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

take the gators off and go with the hi lifts

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

The first thing I do when I purchase a new mower is take off the chutes. They are not made to disperse grass but are made to row it instead.