wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajy, Jul 1, 2001.

1. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

i usually start cutting at 6 or 7 a.m. in the morning. what is the best way to cut wet grass. i try to bag but it clumps. if the grass is high, i can't discharge. any solutions?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know what your using for a mower,but with Mo-deck on my deck,I can cut wet,heavy grass pretty cleanly 1st pass with my Dixie chopper,if its real bad,ill go over the lawn again to knock the clipping down into the turf better.I do not need to bag to get a clean,clump free lawn.The Dixie does have good clipping dispersion though,and a huge discharge chute,without the Mo-deck it would cut good for 10-20 minutes,the start to clump as the deck plugged up solid.Double blades also help,but you need a lot of power to run them,and they arent necessary-they do help though.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What type of equipment are you using?

4. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

john deere 155 15hp riding mower and snapper 21 in walk behind. both clump when trying to bag wet grass

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, this might help you, what height are you cutting at, lets say i'm cutting 1 of my lawns and it very wet out, and clumping, i just raise the deck up half an inch, cut it, then lower it back down to what i was suppose to cut the lawn at. works 9 out of 10 times, the time it doesn't is when i should of been to that place a day or 2 before but couldn't for some odd ball reason which has happened this year.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Joshua's advice works, but I find doing the opposite helps too. If you mow at the height you're supposed to be mowing at, you'll get the clumps ONCE. If you mow 1/2 inch up, you might get clumps, and if you go over it again, you'll still get some clumps, making you cut it 3 times. Sometimes I'll mow at the regular height, then go up 1/2 an inch. It spreads the grass a little better. Either way works I guess, but this works for my 21" so it might work for you too. Or, you can just mow it twice at the same height, that works pretty good too.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

This time of year down here there is no such thing as Dry grass. I just do what I have to do to make the lawn look nice. If it means going over and over it again, then I do. I hate to see yards with clumps of grass all over the place. To me it looks very tacky.

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

The grass is wet until at least 11 or 12 o'clock around here. We just ordered some Mo-Deck last week, and it should be here today, but then again, I've never gotten a package on time from UPS. A clean deck is the key! (at least on our equipment)

This may be hard to do, but if you will cut it in the wet, then let it dry out before you cut it again, you'll never know that you cut it in the wet.

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

When I cut wet grass(YUCK), I cut it at the height it should be cut at,unless it is really high, then raise the deck up and go over again, so far this year, I have not had to bag a single lawn:D