Wet land shrubs?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KathysLGC, Nov 4, 2003.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello I just moved to Wilton CT and the back end of our property line has a small stream running thru it and the aera is mushy. The soil is real black kinda looks like top soil. The previous owner put all their leaves there.

I am looking for something cheap that will grow tall and provide a bit of privacy. One side of the property line has something that looks like swamp wheat or corn. It's about 8feet tall. Nasty looking but provides privacy and it's only about 1.5' wide and about 150' long. We are on 1.3 acres.

I am not looking for anything pretty. We have a bunch of flower beds for that just privacy. The area has some trees but nothing major.
    Any help or ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Edgar

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Hemlocks like moist conditions. They naturally grow near bottom lands along creeks in the woods.They will also suck up some of that moisture so it is less muddy.

3. KathysLGC

Thanks for your reply. Just so every one knows i did do a search :) but i didn't find what I was looking for.

Aren't Hemlocks alot of $$$?

4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Hemlocks are a bit pricey,but well worth the investment.
    How about some willows? Depends what you are looking for....Nice looking or just privacy?

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Arborvitae, tamarack, clethra are just a few that come to mind.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Tamarack loses its needles in the winter doesn't it?
    I'm thinking of the trees,Same as larches. Arbs do like moisture and may be a choice too.

7. KathysLGC

We're looking just for privacy. Our flower beds will be nice looking and we are going to do a stone wall in the front with some shrubs for privacy. The back end of the property is just nasty wet lands so no matter what I put back there it wouldn't make it look nice unless I did some major clearing and preperation for nice shrubs. I just want cheap privacy if posible. Pussy willows are a thought cause they grow kinda wide.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Tamarack, larch = same tree. Yes, they lose their needles every fall, brilliant yellow needles.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

For a shrub, I like artic willows. They grow fast and since they are bushy they provide the privacy screen from ground to about 6'. they are deciduous. But even during the winter they are thick enought to provide a decent screen.

And they are tough!

10. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

Let's not forget Wilton's Deer Population: Arbs. and Hemlocks are Deer Food, and the Hemlocks will eventually contract Wooley Adelgid and die ( you can spray, but it's an ongoing battle ). Do you need cover all year or just during the "outdoor Season" ( meaning deciduous vrs. evergreen)? what about a stand of larger Ornamental Grasses (i.e. Silver Feather Miscanthus or Porcupine Grass, or both )?