WET LEAVES what is the magic?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hobbsd, Nov 3, 2005.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I am getting very frustrated trying to rake wet leaves, specifically oak leaves. They don't suck up, they clog my decks / vacuum system, and take alot more time. I am using a trac-vac system that usually works well, but soggy oak leaves are proving too much for it.

Does anyone else have a better method????

Thank you,

Dan

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

your best bet, is to not clean leaves for money, you can never make enough. when the dust settles, you'll end up making about half of minimum wage

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

mulch them first with several passes then run over the area with trac-vac

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

snapper and a gator blade -even wet leaves are no match

5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

simply put, GET A WALKER. The only way to do leaf clean-up. At least in my opinion.

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

My leaf tools are a parking lot blower and a lazer with a mulch kit.

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

A Little Wonder 10HP or 9HP and a Red Max 7001 or 8000 will solve your problem!

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A hair dryer!

Seriously tho... Wet leaves suck, well, ok, don't suck... that's the problem!

A walker is NOT the answer to every lawn problem, unless your problem is "I'm tired of being able to mow slopes, mow at a good speed, and dump my clippings into my truck bed". Then yes, the walker is for you!

I owned a Walker, leaves were plowed more than picked up... Pushed more off to the sides then it would let under the deck. I guess my problem was I was trying to MOW and pick up leaves at the same time... I think the walker would pick up more leaves if the deck was set at the highest setting, but then you can't really "mow" at 4" in the fall...

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

here, the properties aren't too large, so the i answer wet leaves with a blower/rake combo, 2 guys... or 2 blowers and a man on a rake if i have 3. but we're talking smaller urban type accounts.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ditto......... id rather do them when its wet so i dont get covered in dust.